Buying buck tail?

• MikeLarson

Looking for a place to get quality buck tail from I ordered from a place and the hair is real course and am looking for more of soft type if that makes sense any input would be greatly appreciated

bronzbak
    Long way from home

I have had good luck with netcraft! Also have with Reinke Brothers in milwaukee. I won’t order fur or hair from hagens anymore however. Where did you buy from you had bad luck? Curious if its some place I’ve done buisness with?

henny
    Prescott, WI

the fly shop in river falls might have some. or the fly shop at thorne bros. that way you can get a hands on. bob mitchell’s fly shop in lake elmo also. call before to see if they have any.

BBKK
    IA

Contact trumar and see what synthetic hair he uses. Its super soft and flows awesome in the water giving jigs some sweet action. Bought a bunch of jigs from him a couple weeks ago and slayed the fish, everything from crappie to northern.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

WAPSI is one of the largest wholesalers for fly tying materials in the country. They supply for many of the small shops to big box stores and internet based companies. I’ve been using many of their products since very early 80’s and have been very pleased with their stuff.
    Two things come to mind when you say the hair is real coarse. One is the tanning process. Each tail is unique in that it can turn out incredibly soft or more brittle and anywhere in between. The other is the tail itself. Smaller yearling tails are very soft and older mature deer generally have heavier/stiffer hair. When I’m looking to tie walleye streamers, I prefer the smaller/softer tails. For these, I’ll go to fly shop and look through the tails. The largest/fullest bag isn’t always the best deal. That is where looking with your hands will make a difference.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

I have had good luck with Tackle Craft out of Ellsworth WI family owned business. Just tell them what your looking for I’m sure they could help always have for me. Been a few times I was looking for a certain thing and if they did’nt have it they did get it for me. They have been very good to work with for me. Also I think the pricing was very good. Tackle-craft.com I usually call and place my order then you can explain what your looking for.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’ve ordered a few bucktails through the mail but I really prefer to pick one out and look at it before I buy it. The texture and stiffness of the hair can vary quite a bit. The thin soft stuff works really well for jigs, the thick wiry hair is nasty to work with and it flares up. Tough to control.

I tied up a bunch of jigs last fall using a synthetic product called “Craft Fur”. It looks just wonderful in the water and I did catch fish with it. The only drawback is that the fibers are very fine and there are millions of them. The stuff “snarls” easily, and if you throw several of these jigs into the same compartment in a box they will tangle themselves up pretty good.

I’m planning on buying this stuff called “EP Fiber”. The “EP” stands for Enrico Puglisi, he’s a salt water fly fisherman and he makes amazing looking baitfish imitations with this material. I want to tie some bigk streamers for Musky/Pike fishing and also use some of it to make some “hair” jigs for the river.

Rootski

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.