Boat tool kit??

• a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

Today I’m organizing my boat tool kit. My question to you all is what is a MUST HAVE in everybodys tool kit?

I’m trying to add a few things… I can tell my tools are looking a little short handed! Let’s hear what good ideas everybody has.

Thanks,
    Aj

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Crescent wrench, fuses, wire cutter, pliers, cutting tool, electrical tape, screwdriver with heads for every screw in the boat, zip ties, rope, and duct tape all come to mind. Although not a tool, jumper cables are always in the boat. I’m intersted to hear what other people’s essential items.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Crescent wrench, fuses, wire cutter, pliers, cutting tool, electrical tape, screwdriver with heads for every screw in the boat, zip ties, rope, and duct tape all come to mind. Although not a tool, jumper cables are always in the boat. I’m intersted to hear what other people’s essential items.

Mine is pretty much the same. I have added a few bulbs for the anchor and nav. light. I also carry and extra transducer and prop.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

Greatest post to get it started off! Zip ties will be in the tool kit tomorrow when I hit the water.

4d-rock

Very interesting, thanks for starting this post. I just bought a boat and am going to start putting together a tool kit and other must have in the boat items. Might have to start another thread on safety kits.

I know some people carry an extra propeller and shear pin in their tools.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Don’t forget spark plug socket and ratchet.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I don’t carry as much as I first thought. A pull start emergency rope and an extra boat plug are high on my list though. Also want to get an extra boat key.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I think I would also add a first aid kit and horn to the list.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Extra I-pilot remote batteries if you run an I-pilot. They die at the worst possible times.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I keep all my tools in a waterproof box. In addition to Fife I carry a SAE and Metric wrench set, spark plugs and wrench. Formagasket, silicone and an impeller that still is good I replaced.
    I also have a few plastic jars with random hardware that I have used during installs.

All this stuff takes up very little space and has saved myself and others on quite a few trips.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

Chuck- isn’t it funny when YOUR tool kit comes in handy for OTHER boats?? Haha always nice to be prepared for yourself and others!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I have an older version of the soft side crafstman tool kit,but I have added some bigger wrenches,tape,zip ties,tow rope,ect. It is small and very and very easy to store.

One should already have a First Aid kit in their boat !

JMHO Jeff

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

My first aid kit is in my tool kit… Knipex pliars and electrical tape. And maybe some Tylenol haha

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Add a flashlight and tire gauge. On longer trips, I usually throw in a voltmeter.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Quote:

Yep bring one of everything…especially if you run a yar-craft…

(Scott made me do it)

Northeast MPLS

I like back up bearings, cap, and grease for your trailer bearings, doesn’t need to be in the boat, but on all boat trips.
    I need to add first aid. I always seem to get good cuts when I don’t have band aids.
    Great topic.

philput
    Knoxville, IL.

3/8 drive socket set & wrench set, cotter keys, whistle, misc nuts bolts & screws, mini flashlight, tire gauge, elec. connecters, & everything above.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Just a different direction on this. I bought a large pistol case for keeping the essentials in. Tossed in a compartment and it works well for not bouncing against everything.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

First Aid kit a must, flashlights

sandmannd

Get a prop wrench in there. They don’t cost much but are very handy. A spare prop is a great idea as well.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

In the boat I keep spark plus & wrench, Flo tourqe hub & wrench,light bulbs,small jumper cables,wire,wire tys,tape,conectors&ends,fuses,first aid, kit,extra keys,for any tow vehicles and boat,mis. wrenchs for any parts in the boat,tums,alieve,proof of insurance,registration card. I carry in my Suburban a tool box with extra hup and bearins,greease gun,heavey jumper cables,small floor jack,4 way wrench full set on 3/8 &1/2″ sockets,small tool bag . multi meter, solder gun,extra trailer lights,extra oil for the boat and truck,needles to say spare tires,I think thats most of the list. Now if open water gets here I ready!
    Stan

Johnbrad

You should get the following tools for your boat: Clamps, Saws, Drills, Marking and measuring tool, Hammers and mallets, Chisels, Screwdriver, Sharpening

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

A few additions to the above items:

1. A charging cord for your cell phone. If you don’t have the 12 v plug-in, spend $8.99 at NAPA and wire one in.

2. A lug wrench that FITS your trailer lug nuts. There’s about a 99.975% chance your vehicle’s lug wrench is not the same size as your traier lugs.

3. A smaller flashlight that works when you need it, which basically means a Maglite.

4. A hand held spotlight that’s bright enough to melt rust off the side of a barge. The new LED ones are just fantastic because they last so much longer than the old incan. bulbs. Get one with that can be charged with a 12 volt charging cord.

5. A can of Fix-A-Flat. Very hand if you get a flat in a bad place where taking time to change the tire would be dangerous. Pump the flat full of this stuff and drive slow to a safer place.

6. A tube of Sportsman’s Goop. Basically it’s liquid duct tape, but better. You can fix rain suits, waders, fuel line leaks, it’s almost endless. There is a boat hidden in the woods in Canada that I patched a penny size hole using Goop and a Bud Light can and it held for 8 years and for all I know it could still be in use.

7. Carpet squares. I keep 3-4 of these in the back of my SUV. Very handy for a vast number of uses. Changing in/out of waders, as a kneeling pad to change a tire or if you need to get under the trailer, etc, etc.

Grouse

Grouse

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I picked this kit up years ago. Has both Metric and SAE plus a bunch of other tools. The long yellow screw driver is also magnetic and has a light built in…It’s always in the boat. I’ve used it more to help others than on my own rig…get one
    (also have a wrench for the prop nut)
    Then if your rig is big enough, add everything else you heard here or you can think of.
    Be sure to leave room for rods and tackle

Also, I keep a light spray coating of WD40 on this to keep it rust free….

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

also have a wrench for the prop nut

That’s a key one right there. Most of the small adjustable wrenches that are included in tool kits aren’t big enough for the prop nut.

I’ll add one more here:

Tow strap or rope. Considering the size and weight of a lot of rigs now, you can’t tow them with half inch dock line. Make sure you ahve a tow strap that’s heavy duty enough for your boat. Not a problem if you’re fishing in a 14 foot tin can like I am, but my pleasure boat weighs over 2 tons, so I keep both a tow strap and a bridle on board just in case I need to be towed even a short distance.

Grouse

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Great reminders……a must have and is always ready is a quality multi tool on your belt. The Leatherman wave is awesome with a lifetime, no questions asked warranty.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What’s the best brand of kitchen sink to bring along?

I guess I do pack a bit more when heading up to LOTW’s but really, for on the water trouble there’s only a few things a person can do…or need.

Then again, this is coming from a guy that keeps his boat at a resort.

The zip ties work great for hand cuffs too.

Adley

Emergency light and first ad kit

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.