Towboats

• Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Has anyone heard when the towboats are going to start running up the river?
    Not normal that they aren’t going upstream by now.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Up the river to where?

The 25 year average date of the first towboat arrival in St. Paul is March 20.

There was an article in one of the Twin Cities papers a few weeks ago saying that thicker than normal ice on Lake Pepin will probably prevent barges from running through the Chippewa River delta narrows well into April this year.

In Iowa the lack of towboats moving may well be related to the fact that north of you there’s nowhere to run to.

Grouse

gary d
    cordova,il

They have been moving on Pool 14 for about a month now. I think they are going just to Clinton,Ia and no further north at this time. I think it is grain and sand down here! It won’t be long before they start breaking ice and going north!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

#9,8,6 and 4 are still closed.

# 9 03/22/13 The Lock is Closed for the winter, Outdraft indicators go out at 40,000 cfs, Our current flow is 20200 cfs. 24 hr precip is 0.00. The River is iced over as far as the eye can see to the north of the lock and dam. there is 5 inches of ice in the pool. The tailwater is open.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I heard there is still 20″ of ice and they wont break until it around 8-10″.

Heard on the news.

drechsler
    ia.east side scott co.

here between leclaire and clinton we have had about 15 tows go by our house don’t know how far north they are going.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.