suffix 832 lead core

• MikeLarson

I am picking up to diawa sea line 27 looking for advice on what pound test I should go with the 12 or 18 I troll cranks for walleye and sounds like I can get 5 colors witch will be fine

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I like the 12# better myself. It’s plenty strong for walleye fishing and the smaller diameter makes it easy to get plenty on a reel like the Daiwa 27’s.

You can easily get 5 colors, almost 7 with minimal backing, of the 18lb Sufix 832lead on the sl27.

I really like the 12# because it drops off the spool much faster and also allows you to read baits a bit better. That said, if you’re trolling not so familiar spots or have a propensity to snag-up, might be best to stick with the heavier gauge stuff.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Good question Larson. Ill add question part 2. is the dive curve similar between the 12 and 18?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Good question Larson. Ill add question part 2. is the dive curve similar between the 12 and 18?

From actually fishing the two I couldn’t detect any appreciable difference. To further investigate the question I asked the guys responsible for the R&D behind the product and they told me the dive curve is identical.

rbloom

I just changed my Diawa 47s to 12lb. 832 advanced leadcore and was able to get 10 colors and a 50 ft. leader on with an 1/8 inch left on the spool. I was told the lead size is the same with 12 and 18 lb

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

From actually fishing the two I couldn’t detect any appreciable difference. To further investigate the question I asked the guys responsible for the R&D behind the product and they told me the dive curve is identical.

Been wondering about that myself.

Great info to know because I’m thinking the 18lb may better on some of my salmon rods this summer.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Been wondering about that myself.

Great info to know because I’m thinking the 18lb may better on some of my salmon rods this summer.

It will be handy to not have to learn, and then keep straight, two different dive curves.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

One of the benefits of the 832 lead core line is that it absorbs less water and it has a reduced resistance which lessons the lift. The benefit of less lift allows you to better maintain your depth control and it’s not as speed sensitive as the traditional lead core line. Simply put, you’ll be able to place your crankbait in the strike zone more consistently whether you’re using the 832 Suffix 12lb or 18lb test. The other benefit of less left is that your leader depth curve of your crankbait will be more accurate. When trolling the traditional lead core line, I usually factor 20% less of that depth curve for my leader because of the lift. Since the lift is less in the 832 lead core line, you no longer have to adjust and it’s the same for both lines (12lb and 18lb).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.