bow mount fab

• MikeLarson

I have old lund and am going to put a bow mount on the front only problem is I need to fab something to mount it on any ideas or someone that could make me one for a decent price

stratos_375
    Southern Wisconsin

What size boat and trolling motor? If they are not to big you could get some marine grade plywood, double it up and screw it together. Then lay it over the bow of you boat and trace the gunwale outline on to the plywood. Make sure it is big enough for your entire trolling motor to sit on. Cut it out then bolt it to the gunwale itself and bolt your trolling motor to the plywood. I did it that way on my old boat and I worked out great.

I had a 16′ boat with a 55pd thrust trolling motor and had zero flex on the plywood. I am not sure I would do it that way if I had a bigger trolling motor.

Maybe post a picture of your bow to give us some ideas for you. Good luck you will love a bow mount trolling motor if you have not had one.

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

I have an 81 Lund Pike that I got a piece of .25″ Aluminum plate and cut it to the size of the bow cover piece. Used some stainless spacers on the outside to bolt it on because the center of the bow cover is higher than the outsides. Put some backing plates under the bow cover where the bolts come through and its solid as a rock. A little overkill but it looks good and is definitely not going to rot.

stratos_375
    Southern Wisconsin

Wallybanger’s idea sounds a lot better looking than mine and like he said wont ever rot and maintance free! Good luck with the project.

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Not sure how to post pics on here. If you PM me your cell phone # I can text you a few pics.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

.25″ aluminum, reduces stress in my opinion.

BBKK
    IA

Weld or rivet an aluminium deck to the top and mount it up.

Doug Sponseller
    Houghton Lake, Michigan

I have used aluminum or plywood in the past. At the present time I have plywood that I carpeted. I make mine come back to the rear edge if the jump seat, then put my battery on that seat. It is covered and also a good place to stuff raingear.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

If it were me, I would bolt a 1/4″ thick 6061 aluminum plate onto your current bow plate. Use Flat Head Cap Screws to mount the plate. This will keep the new top plate obstruction free on the top surface.

Make the plate big enough to mount a quick change minn kota bow mount on it.

You will obviously have to remove the bow light and rope tie down and remount it to the new mounting plate.

And for sure, use stainless steel hardware (bolts) so that it doesn’t corrode away on you. It may cost a little more up front but down the road, you’ll be really glad you did.
    Looks like a pretty easy job to me but I’ve done a bunch of work like that in the past.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Here’s what I did with exact same bow. Unfortunately I cannot duplicate.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Nice work Suzuki!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Most of the credit goes to another member of this website. I’ll leave it up to him if he wants to be identified. We are old friends and he did this for me at work on his own time. Lets just say it was easy for him.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.