BreakIns Shot: Well?

• big_g
    Isle, MN

To be fair…. I should disclose, I know WAY more about what happened, than any article or story has reported. I am not opening this thread again. 2 kids were murdered in cold blood… nothing will change that.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

No…you shouldn’t be fair.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

WOW !
    IMHO on this : there are so many ‘potential’ wrongs (waiting for all the evidence from the investigation)that those ‘wrongs’ will over shadow any ‘rights’ this man had, and he will be guilty of some wrong doing.

This should be an example to all as ‘how not to defend your castle’!
    At this time, I believe there isn’t anything good that can become of this.

BBKK
    IA

I’ve read the first post and none others.

I see a very disturbed man (possibly war vet?). What he did was not right, but nobody in their right mind would have done it. He was defending his home and in his mind what he did was needed to be done. In our minds it is terrible and he should pay. He didnt wake up that morning and decide to hunt down two children and kill them. Dont put him on the same level as a serial killer. What he did was murder, but it sure does sound like a mental disability was the culprit.

I would suspect he pleads mental illness, which she should.

Good for him to defend his home, just sad he had to take it that far.

He should have shot the kid, then called police when he hit the bottom of the stairs. Then shot the second one as she came down the stairs also.

I like how the mom said “he should have fired a warning shot”.. wasnt the first 2 shots (into the male) enough warning for the female to not go down the stairs and call the police instead?

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Imagine there’s no heaven
    It’s easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there’s no countries
    It isn’t hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people living life in peace

You, you may say
    I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one
    I hope some day you’ll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people sharing all the world

You, you may say
    I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one
    I hope some day you’ll join us
    And the world will live as one

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Appears according to the star, that our little darlings were also involved in drugs and other break ins.

The plot thickens.

Al

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Appears according to the star, that our little darlings were also involved in drugs and other break ins.

The plot thickens.

Al

No, the plot does not thicken. Unless they killed or beat another person during the robbery there is no indication they would hurt the guy who shot them.

People want to try and twist this into a JUSTIFIABLE homicide. It’s not, what we know is he disabled somebody removing the threat of personal harm. He then murdered them, he then sat down and took the rest of the day off, he then called the neighbor…………not the police. This guy never called the police, never called a hospital.

So, twist this all you want. Dream up all kinds of evil scenario’s. But, it boils down to this………he removed the threat and then he shot them.

I’m checking out of this thread until more facts are presented. Bye, bye.

Palerider77

Heard the young man’s grandpa on KSTP the other day. It doesn’t sound like any of this was simple or easy. Even under the best circumstances (knife wielding zombie), killing someone to defend yourself is an inherently tragic event. I carry everyday, keep a gun (and good flashlight) within arms reach when I am home. I have spent a good deal of money and time training for something that I pray never happens. It is disapointing to me that people would rush to judgement on this. Even if this all shakes out and the charges get dropped and this guy goes back to his house, two families have lost their babies. As a parent, this is absolutely horrifying. Nobody should be happy about any of this.

(Just my humble opinion)

b-mac
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

To be fair…. I should disclose, I know WAY more about what happened, than any article or story has reported. I am not opening this thread again.

d’oh kay

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Post deleted by AllenW

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Goll, Allen, that’s asking a lot…

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Exactly and NOT 1 person in here including the keyboard Cowboys would have handled it the way this nut job did.

On a side note, if someone walk’s into a store and steal’s a 5 cent peice of Gum are you guys OK with the store clerk shooting that person dead?
    I’m mean, I’m threatend, I don’t know what that person may be hiding along with the piece of gum

Joe Horn where are ya …

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Joe Horn?

This ain’t Texas ya know.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

Quote:

On a side note, if someone walk’s into a store and steal’s a 5 cent peice of Gum are you guys OK with the store clerk shooting that person dead?

Yes.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I dont feel sorry for the house breaking, drug using thieves. Hopefully this incident makes others think twice before attempting it.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

What is the value you are justified pulling the trigger? Take my wife, Please! Sorry my dear, I forget how well you shoot and remember if you hear glass breaking at 2:30 in the morning don’t shoot until you know it’s not me returning home after the bars close!

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Sheriff: Slain teens tied to another break-in near Little Falls

Article by: PAUL WALSH and JOY POWELL , Star Tribune staff writers
    Updated: November 28, 2012 – 12:31 PM

Investigators have connected two teenage cousins who were slain during a home-invasion burglary near Little Falls, Minn., on Thanksgiving Day to a similar crime hours earlier and a few miles away.

Investigators have connected two teenage cousins who were slain during a home-invasion burglary near Little Falls, Minn., on Thanksgiving Day to a similar crime hours earlier and a few miles away.

In a statement issued late Wednesday morning, Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel said that a search of a car seized after Nick Brady, 17, and Haile Kifer, 18, were slain on Thanksgiving Day by homeowner Byron Smith turned up items reported stolen in a home burglary the day before south of the central Minnesota city.

Wetzel said his office is also looking into other burglaries that might be connected to the teens.

According to Wetzel:

Deputies contacted Brady last Wednesday after a homeowner reported a car parked suspiciously near the end of his drive in Little Falls Township.

Brady told deputies that he and Kifer had been driving around when they ran out of gas.

Brady said Kifer had left to go get more gas. Deputies then gave Brady a ride into Little Falls. The car was left at its location on Hilton Road, not far from Richard Johnson’s home.

On Sunday, three days after the killings, the Sheriff’s Office said it learned from a neighbor of Johnson’s home being burglarized while Johnson was out of town. He reported numerous items were missing, including several bottles of prescription medication.

Deputies searched the car and found six bottles of prescription medication with Johnson’s name on them.

Smith, 64, a retired U.S. State Department worker, is charged with second-degree murder in the double killing, which Wetzel has said was carried out after the teens were critically wounded by initial gunfire. Smith remains jailed.

Along with the medication, Johnson said the items he reported stolen included less than $5 worth of pennies kept in a box on his dresser, and silver and copper coins from other countries. Johnson, 68, said the thieves had broken a sliding glass door at his house.

Smith’s brother, Bruce Smith of California, whom Byron Smith called after the shootings, said his brother reported about $10,000 worth of items stolen in an Oct. 27 burglary, including guns, a camera and $3,000 to $4,000 in cash. The brother said that break-in was the latest in a string of six to eight before the teens were killed.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Goll, Allen, that’s asking a lot…

I just think we see our side of the story and sometimes read more into what someone posts than whats there, even I may have done it once or twice…ok..maybe more..

al

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I certainly don’t agree to the kill shots the guy took. I think he was fine to shoot the first time. I would of called police after the shots and kept a close eye on them.

What I posted above though… according to the law, he should not be charged with murder. He has.. and he will likely be convicted. But according to the law, he is allowed to “take life” if someone breaks into their home to commit a felony. Breaking into a home with a person in the home IS a felony (First degree burlary). The law does not clarify anything other than that he is authorized to take life.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

So the situation is:

I am in my home – I hear glass breaking and I hear voices, here they come into the house.

I have a weapon (.45, 9MM and a Stoeger coach gun ) one in my hands, ther others strategically placed in my home, between me and my family – my kids and wife are safe….the intruders are definatley coming in….It is clearly more than one person coming into my home!!!!! Holy S !!!!!

I live in S Minneapolis. I would not hesitate to put the perps down. It would not matter if they were black, white, man or woman, 18 or 80. They would not leave my house alive.

I would call the lawyer first, I would put the bodies on a tarp (I would not want to deal the mess either) and I would then call the police wiht my lawyer.

I can assure you – I would not lose a bit of sleep over my actions. The newspapers would report – I would not feel bad. I would be rattled – yes – but I would take great comfort in knowing that my daughter and wife do not need to go thru any therapy for being raped and I would not want to kill myself for failing my family.

My wife and kids would still be safe. No reading about death, rape, kidnapping, burgers on the grill (yummy). Just a story about a crazy white guy that stood up for his family and property.

Seems pretty clear – when they come in. A guy should get focused. Nothing clears the mind like downside risk. I would not apologize for my actions.

Dog

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

burgery

Hmm… I don’t know. Someone breaks into my home and starts grilling me dinner… I may not be so quick on the trigger…

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I agree with you Dog.

The place it gets fuzzy for me is when you misplace your first shot and only wound the perp.

Now, to my thinking, i don’t quit shooting until there is no movement. Wounding the perp and they pull a concealed weapon, nope, not an option.

If i’m going to shoot, it’s going to be with deadly intent, none of this wounding junk.

Grouse_Dog

So – you wound the guy – why? That would only happen if you stopped pulling the trigger. Or – you were using a small calibre weapon. The 9MM is a wounding weapon. Just ask law enforcement. The .45 – tough to recover from that shot.

Do you think he may come back in 2-10 years and take revenge on you and your family….I would want to sleep easy and not have to monitor that situation for the rest of my life.

Dead people don’t get a second chance.

lhprop1
    Eagan

My, my, my, this topic has made some of you guys get a little snippy toward each other. How’s about a big hug to make it all better.

We should talk about something more friendly . . . like unions.

Grouse_Dog

I am in DC today!!!!

AFL-CIO, Teamsters, Ironworkers, ?????

Which one????

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

I am in DC today!!!!

AFL-CIO, Teamsters, Ironworkers, ?????

Which one????

I think a discussion on civil unions would be much more, um, civil.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

What’s a civil onion?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Show me a marriage that is civil and I’ll call you a liar.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

What’s a civil onion?

It’s a onion that doesn’t stink up your breath!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Finally! This thread is shot.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 205 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.