BreakIns Shot: Well?

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I wonder how people’s opinions on here would change if, instead of 2 “decent” looking teenagers (according to the glamour shots posted), it was 2 meth heads with missing teeth, disheveled faces, etc. Would those of you, who are quick to crucify the old man, change their thoughts if it were carreer criminals that broke in? Would you instead say “good riddance”?

They were starting down the stairs. And I am only guessing here… but I think if he were to have seen above the torso… the shots would have been in the chest rather than the gut and likely wouldn’t have required the additional shots. What they look like should have no bearing in whether or not he should have shot in the first place.

My personal opinion… If it were me, they would have had 4-5 shots in them before they even started to fall forward… thus ensuring the threat was nuetralized. I don’t agree with the additional shots after they were subdued. And it SOUNDS like that is all the sherrif even has a problem with.

I think there is a “temporary insanity” plea in the works… and an understandable one at that if he was truly burglarized multiple times. A person can only take so much.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

You can add me to the 50% that thinks the home owner is an absolute nut job and went too far. Believe it or not, it’s people like this guy that get the anti-gun crowd very energized.

X2 This is not going to be good

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Since many people don’t appear to have a gray area or need to assess the situations – they broke into a house, they deserve to die.

Lets try a hypothetical. For this hypothetical you must put yourself in the shoes of the parents of these young adults. You cannot change the hypothetical by saying, I would raise them to know better, my kids wouldn’t do that. That’s just avoiding the question.

So one of these kids was yours. They’ve broken into your relatives homes before and now they are dead for breaking into a strangers home. This, after apparently being rendered defenseless (shot and no reports of then carrying weapons that I know of). They were wounded and then a “finishing shot” killed them. Then the bodies were dragged to a corner of the basement, one still gasping for life. This guy went upstairs and let the corpses sit there.

So you are ok with that. Are you pissed at your kids and consider this guys actions well within reason?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I wonder how people’s opinions on here would change if, instead of 2 “decent” looking teenagers (according to the glamour shots posted), it was 2 meth heads with missing teeth, disheveled faces, etc.

Precisely why I posted it because I knew it would be provoking.

What if the guy was a meth cook and protecting his stash while looped up on meth?

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

What if the guy was a meth cook and protecting his stash while looped up on meth?

Apples and oranges. We can play the “what if” game till eternity. You have to look at the specific circumstances of one case and apply the law.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I agree with Jon. The only serious mistake the guy made was using the wrong gun and shooting at the wrong part of the intruder and not emptying his gun immediately.

I live alone on top of some valuable property. As Stuart said, these people weren’t bringing coleslaw to a picnic. What did they expect?? I think they were there for an adrenaline rush and OD’d. Where has common sense gone these days??

Duty to Aid?? I say it’s trumped by Duty To Protect…

redneck
    Rosemount

Emotions run high on both sides of this argument but from my crotchety old guy point of view the guy lost all hope of being justified when he stood over them and pumped rounds into their head/chest. Would there be any doubt of guilt if there was video of a cop doing this to a wounded suspect no matter what the perp had done? That act crosses the line of justified behavior no matter what the circumstance—at least in my humble opinion.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

You have to look at the specific circumstances of one case and apply the law.

..and that’s the problem here. We don’t know all the circumstances.

I know from my common sense training (or lack of) when there’s a delay in notifying the police or pulling over when there’s flashing lights behind your car, it’s buying time to hide “something”.

‘Course that’s another “what if”.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Duty to Aid?? I say it’s trumped by Duty To Protect…

Stu, you’re playing with your deck of cards and not the law.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Quote:

You have to look at the specific circumstances of one case and apply the law.

..and that’s the problem here. We don’t know all the circumstances.

Not knowing all the details and just making some stuff up are two different things.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Apples and oranges. We can play the “what if” game till eternity. You have to look at the specific circumstances of one case and apply the law.

and apply the law… that speaks volumes. I have little issue with the leg shot on the first kid. (I do take issue with shooting someone, without even seeing if I recognize them as friendly or foe) After that, this nutjob was WRONG. No way should the girl have been even an issue. Those 50% of you who think this was alright, are you also OK with him “not wanting to bother the police” ? If you are, I guess there are more nuts around than one would think… I hope none of your kids ever get into a situation like this… I did plenty as a kid and can hardly blame the way my parents raised me I guess they could have locked me in the closet from 13-18

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

And what if they knew this guy much better than he wants us to believe? Ever consider that maybe this was a meeting, one that just went bad? Too many questions here. Like the 2 kids having options, so did the shooter.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

And I won’t live in Minnesota…

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Bummer.

mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They entered his home uninvited.Thats the only crime I see.

He neutralized the threat with the first shot. That was legal for him to do. No other shots were warranted.

You believe as you wish and I will continue to be right.They were not bearing gifts and a side dish to share.They were in his HOME and their family should have to pay the clean up costs.
    Most people would never think of robbing another person.Good riddance.

why should their families have to pay? They didn’t make those kids do that. Shooting and doing what he did are two completely different things. That guy is a nut job.

sounds like he may have jumped the gun, so to speak. I agree with protecting your self and family. Someone comes into my house unannounced, they will be stareing down the barrel of a gun,but when do you decide to pull the trigger, do you give them warning,hard to say when you have to make a quick decision. wounding and then finishing them off, not calling till the next day.If neither of the kids were armed, I think this guy is going away for awhile, also he has to live with taking 2 lives that may not be justified. just my thoughts

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Bummer.

Thank You

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Hey, don’t blame me. Brian started it all…

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Quote:

And what if they knew this guy much better than he wants us to believe? Ever consider that maybe this was a meeting, one that just went bad? Too many questions here. Like the 2 kids having options, so did the shooter.

Good point Tom. I have a hard time wrapping my head around this whole thing. I’m just going to play devils advocate here to the ones that believe that the guy was justified in killing the teens.

Was the girl “coaxed” downstairs after her cousin was shot and moved? I would think she woulda been running scared personally. Are we even sure these kids broke in? Did the shooter already know, or think he knew that these where the ones that previously robbed him and wanted vigilante justice? None of us really know the true circumstances surrounding this whole thing, but I really hope justice is served and the truth comes out. One thing we do know for sure is this really is a sad deal for all of the survivors.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I think there is a “temporary insanity” plea in the works… and an understandable one at that if he was truly burglarized multiple times. A person can only take so much.

I agree Dave…

mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

I agree and I like living in MN.

mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He neutralized the threat with the first shot. That was legal for him to do. No other shots were warranted.

You believe as you wish and I will continue to be right.They were not bearing gifts and a side dish to share.They were in his HOME and their family should have to pay the clean up costs.

REALLY, you would of done the same thing.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

REALLY, you would of done the same thing.

Hope like hell I am never put in this position,but if you come into my home uninvited I will believe that you are there to do me harm.If I don’t shoot you dead my wife will.(Dead people can’t testify and lie)
    The guy went a tiny bit overboard when he shot them multiple times.Bottom line,they entered his house.Your house is where you as a person are supposed to be safe.
    Don’t break in,don’t die.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

A person can only take so much.

The shooter took two lives, one with a “killing shot”. His own admission to this fact will erase any insanity defense. He had choices.

This “killing shot” just puts me over the edge on believing anything he has to offer. And his claim that the girl was laughing after being shot…. I’ve been shot and I can tell you that laughing isn’t real high on the list right then.

Someone mentioned an “eye for an eye”. I think Minnesota should impose a similar punishment to the dink a few poorly placed hits and then one under the chin. Either that or give the jerk a good physical and take him into surgery for organ harvest letting him know the gurney ride is his last ride and that some good will come from his sorry [censored]’s death. Call it restitution.

Concealed carry keeps getting popped into this and has nothing at all to do with this instance. This is an alleged home invasion/ illegal home entry. Rules here are different. But shoot today and report tomorrow is NOT part of the program. And a killing shot most definitely doesn’t cut it on a human being. He’d sure as heck have to show some weapons that those two kids had in order for me to find anything but guilty of premeditated murder.

The bigger question I have is if those two kids knew he was at home and in the basement, why would they just go trucking right on down the stairs? And as was mentioned earlier, why wasn’t that girl heading for cover at the sound of a shotgumn blast when her cousin went down the stairs? His account of what happened doesn’t hold water with me.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

The bigger question I have is if those two kids knew he was at home and in the basement, why would they just go trucking right on down the stairs?

As reported, the guy was burglarized 3 times recently. These 2 criminals probably knew exactly what they were going to steal. And exactly where those items were located.

-J.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Bummer.

Thank god!

big_g
    Isle, MN

as reported.. it was “reported” once in oct…

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I’ve got a neighbor who has been broken into 9 times in the last 5 years, mostly by the same people.

He reported the first 4. Then he felt is was not useful to report more. The police can only do so much…

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

As reported, the guy was burglarized 3 times recently. These 2 criminals probably knew exactly what they were going to steal. And exactly where those items were located.

It hasn’t been established that these kids were criminals when they were in the house. It has not been established that they were there to steal anything. Nobody will ever know the whole truth because dorkenberger applied a “killing shot” to the one who could have answered these questions.

I more inclined to feel that all of these parties knew each other much better than the shooter wants to let on and that something went downhill real quick. I think that this fool killed two kids to salvage his own [censored].

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I’ve got a neighbor who has been broken into 9 times in the last 5 years, mostly by the same people.

He reported the first 4. Then he felt is was not useful to report more. The police can only do so much…

Oh well then, he might as well head to the basement with an arsenal and wait then seems like the natural next step to do… maime and then shoot em in the head

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 205 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.