Stupid woodpecker

• iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Quote:

Hang a piece of sheet metal or the bottom from a tin can over his favorite place to tap on your siding. They don’t like drumming on metal and usually move on.

Good luck.

Dan

The woodpecker I had going at my house years ago was banging on the sheet metal furnace vent. You think they are loud on wood, you should hear them on metal. The funny part about this whole story was that I got so upset that early one morning I ran outside in my undies to “try” and see the [censored]. I say try because I wear contacts/glasses and did not put them on. I could hear the noise from the top of the vent and just happened to grab a tennis ball. I blindly threw it up there and BAM — caught the bird flush in one toss. I could not see that, but I sure heard him screech and never heard from him again. GOOD LUCK

<font class=”small”>Quote:</font>

<hr>Hang a piece of sheet metal or the bottom from a tin can over his favorite place to tap on your siding. They don’t like drumming on metal and usually move on.

Good luck.

Dan

<hr>

<font class=”post”></font>
    <font class=”post”>
    </font><font class=”post”>The woodpecker I had going at my house years ago was banging on the sheet metal furnace vent. You think they are loud on wood, you should hear them on metal. The funny part about this whole story was that I got so upset that early one morning I ran outside in my undies to “try” and see the [censored]. I say try because I wear contacts/glasses and did not put them on. I could hear the noise from the top of the vent and just happened to grab a tennis ball. I blindly threw it up there and BAM — caught the bird flush in one toss. I could not see that, but I sure heard him screech and never heard from him again. GOOD LUCK</font>

Sorry to say, there is only metal up their that the woodpecker taps on, plus there is no insects. I have done everything, even knocked him off with a super soaker water gun, lol. He’s annoying as heck. I put things up their that move to scare him away, doesn’t work.

bob58

I have had problems with woodpeckers in the past.
    I have some CDs that turned into coasters. I hang the CDs on a string with a swivel. This allows the CDs to spin with a slight breeze.
    The woodpeckers do not like the flash the CDs provide and go away.

CaptainMusky

I had the same problem with woodpeckers, nuthatches even chicadees because of the cedar trim on my house. I found some reflective ribbon at a crafts store and stapled it to the trim. Make sure its loose so it moves with the breeze and it will keep them away, worked for me.
    I just replaced all my soffit, facia and siding so now they don’t have anything to peck on.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Blow dart gun whistling

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

6 year old thread………

i guess some problem never go away. try a rat trap and peanut butter

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

No they don’t! I am replacing all my cedar siding with vinyl in June. I am tired of patching wood pecker holes. I even put an owl decoy on a pole and they sit right next to it and peck away.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

No they don’t! I am replacing all my cedar siding with vinyl in June. I am tired of patching wood pecker holes. I even put an owl decoy on a pole and they sit right next to it and peck away.

Vinyl shock Actually, IMHO it’s a good call. waytogo

fishdale

I have had problems with woodpeckers in the past.
    I have some CDs that turned into coasters. I hang the CDs on a string with a swivel. This allows the CDs to spin with a slight breeze.
    The woodpeckers do not like the flash the CDs provide and go away.

My dad had a issue with them on his cedar siding and he made a ball out of tinfoil and hung it on a string and it worked.

Regularpaul

Funny timing for this! Was just talking to our neighbor at the lake about the woodpecker that starts hammering on the end cap of his steel gutters between 5:30-5:45 each morning waking him and us up then periodically pounding away throughout the day!

Can’t help but wonder if the vibration doesn’t drive bugs out of the non-metal parts of his soffit/fascia area.

I have a shiny whirlywind on a stick duct taped onto metal chimney, doesnt wrk.thanks, I may try cds and tinfoil balls..

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Of course the majority says kill a protected species here, no surprise there…

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.