ATV snow plowing

• dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Just wondering what size 4 Wheeler most of you guys use to push snow around? I have a tractor with a loader but would like something that will do the lighter work. Is a 400 big enough? Should I look at a 500 to 700? Right now I have a 360 Kawasaki and don’t think I would be happy if I put a plow on it. This might get the job done but would give the wheeler a good workout.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Depends on the blade. I personally have had a 500 and now a 700… can’t tell much difference between them as far as pushing snow My brother had a 400 and had a blade and it was plenty too.

suckerslayer
    Red Wing, MN

My Dad plows with a Polaris 400 and he pushes a lot of snow around with a 60″ blade.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i have a 2000 bigbear 400 5 speed, with a 60in steel blade. the machine has plenty of power. shifting and going into reverse can be a pain sometimes, but it does move snow realgood. looking back i should have got the 48in blade. less weight on the front suspention is the only reason. if the 60in was polly it would be just fine weight wise. i have had it for 2 years and the only thing i have to replace this year is a 5 year old battery. i use the wrench to raise and lower the plow

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

Don’t try it with a 250…you will be disappointed!
    Voice of experience…..

stevedobie
    Central, MN

I have a 500. The only problem is the blade can be a little light in heavy snow.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

I used a polaris 400 for years. Never had a problem.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

I purchased a 300 Honda in 1996 and a blade. I have used it with the plow on a longgggg driveway. It has done the job until we get a lot of wet snow and if it starts during the day I can plow a few inches at a time. I do use chains when the wet snow starts

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I plow with a 700 and a 60 inch blade and this seems to work well. The only thing I can say is that you might want to check into engine cooling capabilities in addition to engine size. With my 700, we’ve never had it overheat, but my dad and a friend both have 500’s that will overheat if pushed hard enough.

Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

I have a Grizzly 700, equipped with a cycle country quick disconnect plow. I hate the damn thing and always go back to my snow blower. I know I am in the minority but I think a large part of plowing is having the knack for it.

WS

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Quote:

x2

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

I do fine with a 450 Honda Foreman and a 60″ Moose plow. Stay with the 60″ plow so that when you put it at an angle it still plows a path wider than your wheels.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I would think anything around a 400 would work just fine.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Just wondering what size 4 Wheeler most of you guys use to push snow around? I have a tractor with a loader but would like something that will do the lighter work. Is a 400 big enough? Should I look at a 500 to 700? Right now I have a 360 Kawasaki and don’t think I would be happy if I put a plow on it. This might get the job done but would give the wheeler a good workout.

My dad has been running a 400cc for the last 4 years in Grand Rapids, MN without issue. Be sure to get the 60″ blade. The 48″ is a waste of time.

Dakotah

I use a polaris 550 with a 60 inch blade. Works great. I have to use my compact JD utility tractor with a 4 foot snow blower to kick out the the windrows into the field when they get big or it will drift in or gradually close in on me the more I plow. The ATV is a lot faster than blowing it all the time.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

I think the question here is are you looking for an excuse to get a new ATV

If you already own the ATV and plan to buy a plow anyway, buy the plow put it on the ATV and plow, if you don’t like it then buy a new ATV and move the plow to the new one. It might cost you $100 to buy a new bracket but cheaper then $6000.

I personally have used a 60″ plow on a 300 Arctic Cat for 3 years and it worked just fine, put it in low and go. The biggest issue I had was ground clearance and did get hung up from time to time. You will need 4 wheel drive for sure.

I currently use a Arctic Cat 550 and it is nice with the extra ground clearance but I am still using the same plow I have had for 5 years and I should get many more years out of it.

Happy plowing!

Buy the way, I have owned multiple different plows over the years and by far the best plow the best plow I have used is the American Eagle plows made right here in Minnesota. It does the best job cleaning and has lasted the longest to date. There customer service is good to deal with as well.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

500 Polaris Sportsman with a 60 inch plow. Have not had a snow yet that I couldn’t plow with it, and we’ve had some pretty good dumps of snow the last couple years. Used to use both a yamaha grizzly 500 and 700 when I helped my buddy with his snow removal business. I never noticed any difference in effectiveness between the two.

stuart
    Mn.

Would be a lot cheeper to buy the wife a bigger shovel.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I have a Polaris 2007 800cc Sportsman with 60″ eagle plow. I bought the 2007 popo in feb 2008.. so got quite the discount (about $8k at with plow and minor accessories). As an 800cc… the machine plows like a madman.. until chains are needed. Put on chains, plows like a monster. Please note, however… it is all dependant upon snow depth and consistency. if it is THICK WET snow.. it may take a pass or two. If light snow… takes a single path.

So.. that is my experience on my machine. Does it take an 800cc to plow? no. 500 with chains will do you just fine. I use mind for dragging dirt (arena) during summer. In my unprofessional opinion.. a 500 will work perfect with chains for anything mother nature throws at you.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Quote:

Quote:

x2

x3

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.