Big Green Egg….

• whittsend

Gas grill(s) are shot. One of them started on fire twice last week right near the propane valve. Everything is rusted out and it cooks like garbage. Looking to buy a new grill.

Thinking of “going big or going home”….

Who has the Big Green Egg? I’ve been thinking about this for a few years… I know they are crazy expensive, but you usually get what you pay for. Worth it? How does it cook? What size would you recommend getting?

Any info would be appreciated!

big_g
    Isle, MN

A couple firends of mine have them… they don’t use them so much for “grilling” but more for slow cooking and smoking. They work really well for that, as you can control the low heat pretty well As far as grill parts rusting away… yep I order stuff from here… Grill Parts

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

My uncle has one and he loves it! The food that comes out of it is awesome too! It is a pretty cool concept.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Here’s their web site. In upper left corner you can put in your zip and get dealer info from there. Never used or seen one in action though.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I just made the decision and went with a Weber Performer over the Egg. The Egg looks like a cool concept but the cost is out of this world. I still have my gas grill but wanted to go back to charcoal and have been VERY VERY happy with my new Weber Performer. So far I have not used the traditional charcoal but use the Green Egg charcoal which burns and looks more like chunks of wood. Love the flavor and the ease of use.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I never had a gas grill, always charcoal and never had any problems

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I just bought a Traeger and wish I would have gone bigger. It does everything and is easy as pie to run. I’ve done anything from brisket to salmon and everything turns out way better than anything I’ve ever owned before. 5 stars on this type of a grill. Probably about the same price as the Big Green Egg. Nice thing about this is the fact you don’t have to mess with any coal ashes but still get the “wood” taste, not overpowering but just enough

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Someday we will have one, and really are they that expensive? Lifetime Warranty, last grill you’ll buy. I got a demo video a few years ago, and their instructions to cook a decent sized ribeye was get it really hot cook on one side for one minute, flip steak close lid and air dampers cook for one minute, and you should have a perfect medium rare steak. 2! Minutes! And from what I’ve heard it makes freakin fantastic steaks.

We do have a nice Webber gas grill, stainless, and it’s been really great, it’ll probably last us a long time, but I’m not totally sure about lifetime, I’m also pretty sure you can’t compare flavor…

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Look at the Primos Ceramic, too. Personal preference.

Better shape – still very expensive! Great Flavor.

Dog

holennet
    Park View, Iowa

We have had a big green egg for 5 years and love it! Have cooked just about anything including pizza and loafs of bread. Just had to replace the grate that the coal sits on, it rusted and wore away. Sent an email picture to store where purchased,which saved a trip to the store, a week later had a new grate no charge. So the lifetime warranty does work. It has been said by big green egg users that even if you mess up grilling something it still is good. I agree with this, cause I’ve done some mistakes….ya know drinking beer having a good time and forget to check the meat…was still good to eat!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ll take my Weber 3-burner over charcoal anyday but I know charcoal has its followers.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I still love my good old standard Weber, and you just have to have a soft spot for the story. No offense to those that have the expensive stuff, but I sometime wonder if there’s a little bias when you ask people how the ‘whatever’ they spent a ton on is, and if they’d say it sucks if they spent that much. Kind of like a Dyson vacuum. OH NO, HERE WE GO! Happy Monday all.

“In 1952, after he became frustrated with the uneven and uncontrollable flame of open brazier grilling at his Mount Prospect, Illinois, home, determined backyard griller George Stephen, Sr., set out to build a better grill with a lid that allows outdoor cooks to grill in all kinds of weather. Stephen worked at (and was part owner of) the Weber Brothers Metal Works, a Chicago custom order sheet metal shop that produced, among other products, half-spheres that were welded together to make buoys for use in Lake Michigan.”

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

I’ve touted this website many times on here, but here it is again: http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/index.html

This takes you right to the buyers guide for everything BBQ/Grilling. Super informative.

One of my favorite websites. A good buddy of mine has the egg and I’ve smoked meat with him a few times. The egg is expensive because it is a great smoker.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I think you could look at maybe Menards there was a friend who picked up a knock off brand at half the price, still have not had anything off of it yet. I myself have never owned a gas grill, cooked on them, they suck plain and simple. People always tell me that charcoal takes too long, to those I tell you get a charcoal chimney, paper works well, but if you are in pinch and need hot coals quick, fire up the turkey fryer burner, charcoal is ready quick.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

X2 on the Weber gas grills. Cook 8 hamburgers and all 8 turn out the same. Original replacement parts available at many hardware stores. Had a Weber charcoal kettle and it made great results also, but what a PITA. I’ll bet we grill three times as often since we went gas because it is so quick and easy. We bought the natural gas version and ran a pipe under the deck and are glad we did. No more running out of gas with a steak half done.

whittsend

Quote:

I’ve touted this website many times on here, but here it is again: http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/index.html

This takes you right to the buyers guide for everything BBQ/Grilling. Super informative.

EGG-CELENT. (GET IT?)

Looks like a great site.. I’ll have to spend some time researching.

Thanks!

Mike

lozherky
    Lake Ozark, MO

I’ve had my BGE for a couple of years now and wouldn’t trade it for anything. It is a great smoker, pizza maker, turkey cooker, and yes steak maker. It will cost a little more initially but will last a lifetime. There isn’t anything you can’t make on one. The food is always great coming off of it, never had a bad meal. Just my 2 cents worth.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Replaced my rusted out gas grill this spring. Went with the Weber Performer. Have been very happy with it. Takes me 15 minutes to be ready to cook regardless or temp I am targeting. The propane charcoal ignition system is great and makes start-up easy. I did shop the BGE’s but wasn’t sure I was completely ready to be back with charcoal, and didn’t want to waste the extra money. Once the weber is past it’s uselfull life maybe a BGE then… I also use the wood instead of standard charcoal. I also got the green in support of my favorite team.

whittsend

Quote:

I’ve had my BGE for a couple of years now and wouldn’t trade it for anything. It is a great smoker, pizza maker, turkey cooker, and yes steak maker. It will cost a little more initially but will last a lifetime. There isn’t anything you can’t make on one. The food is always great coming off of it, never had a bad meal. Just my 2 cents worth.

Only real question left….

Should I get the L or the XL?

My motto generally is go big or go home… I can’t see changing that up now.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

We got a “small” Weber for a wedding present and it sat outside 24/7 352 days per year and got used and abused for 28 years!! By that time it had the legs rusted off. I bought new small one again. I also own a big Weber for when company comes. The small one was perfect for my family and 4 an now that it is just wife and me – even better. I have cooked LOTS of stuff and it is fantastic. As we were chowing on grilled venison loin yesterday we were commenting on how we don’t order steaks when we go out because mine are better. Most of my family have gone to the gas grill, but always comment on that my stuff taste better. I would not trade it for ANY grill. Fast and easy to use and taste great.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve been using a gas grill because of convenience, but need to get a charcoal for weekends.

I used to have a hibachi and that thing was actually awesome. I’d put some wood in some foil and get it smoking before cooking the meat. Because of it’s compact size, the meat wood get a nice smokey flavor. But I would only use it for pork and lamb, because chicken would dry out and I don’t want a smokey wood flavor on my steak.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

IMHO XL is the way to go. You can probably never have too much grill space, I could see too little being an issue.

hnd

bge’s are great. they hold temps well for long cooks. however, if it were me, unless i got a super deal for one i would just pick up a weber performer and be perfectly happy and not feel there was much i can’t do on that that i could on a BGE.

Hillbiehle

I have a Komoda Joe. Same as the Green Egg except a hair cheaper. The owner of Komoda Joe was a big wig at the Green Egg. Apparntley , he simplified the manufacturing and offers one size to keep costs down. I will never go back to gas. Green Egg or Komoda Joe, you can’t go wrong.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.