Cordless Drills

• nick
    Lakeville, MN

So guys Father’s day is coming, I think I need a new cordless drill/set this year, I’m long overdue, so I’m looking for some advice one what’s truly good right now. I know I lot of brands have changed/slipped in quality control. Use wise, just general use around the home, I currently have a Black and Decker 14v, that’s at least 10 years old, it actually still works pretty good, they batteries are getting pretty weak. I would kind of like a drill and an impact in the $200 total price range probably 2 batteries. The is some wiggle room in price range. Not sure I’d need anything more than a drill and impact, but I’m open to ideas and options. I’d lean towards light and maneuverable over big heavy and powerful. ( still have a corded drill for really tough stuff.)

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I am a general contractor and bought a 18 volt Ridgid set a few years ago. Nothing great as far as the tools themselves. Very functional, fits in line with others at the upper level price point, the contractor grade stuff.

What set them apart was the 6 sets of batteries, replacement of the charger, rework of the drill and recip. saw all under warranty. They do stand behind their warranty and for this reason would reccomend them to anyone.

tonyholland00
    Plymouth MN

I love the 18v Lithium Ryobi set from HD. I think i am trying to get all the different tools that they have for this set. The recharge rate is very fast and the power of the 18v Lithium is great. I also use it for my weed eater, chain saw, sanders, ect ect. I love that they have so many tools that work with the 18v system.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I like my craftsman. It has drilled many many holes in the ice too.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

DeWalt has always been a good drill for us. Been putting them threw heck for years and they keep ticking. Now Dewalt sawzalls are another story. They are good but with heavy use we get a year to year and a half out of one tops. 18v is what we use.

Tried Milwakee for a while but didnt like how the batteries attached to the tools. When they got dirty and gummed up it was a pain to separate them.

Lots of options on the market today since we have had to go looking for cordless tools. Impact is a good option if you need something like that. I like all of our drills to have the hammer function to drill smaller sized anchors. If we had a lot to drill at one time then the real hammer drill comes out.

Noticed thew have a cordless hammer on the market now for pounding nails. My 1st thought on this was if you cant figure out how to use a real hammer you might be in over your head on your projects and a cordless hammer is not going to save you.

chris56317
    St. Cloud, MN

Check out the Makita combo at HD for $214. Has a driver and impact with 2 18V Lithium Ion batteries. Nice, small lightweight set with plenty of power.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have the DeWalt in 18v, on my second set of batteries in about 6 years, very happy. My brother has the Makita 18v, his works good too !!! Can’t say I hammer alot with mine but I have installed thousands of screws.. from 5/8″ drywall screws to 4″ deck screws BTW, why would anybody ever buy a phillips head screw again ??? Square drive baby

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I got a Milwaukee 18v Li-Ion last year. I love it.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Check out the Makita combo at HD for $214. Has a driver and impact with 2 18V Lithium Ion batteries. Nice, small lightweight set with plenty of power.

That’s what I have. Have had very good luck so far, but it has only seen limited use. It’s nice and light and recharges really fast.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

lol i think you guys have covered just about every brand!

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I have also had the Craftsman for a couple years and have had no problems at all. Love the impact. I gets a lot of use!

dan stien
    Waunakee, Wisconsin

I am with Farmboy1. After 25 years as a construction electrician I love my Rigid set. I currently own two rigid drills, sawzall and circ saw all cordless. These tools get used exensively and have been reliable. Like Farmboy1 said they stand behind their warranty, just make sure to fill out the warranty information and send it in.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Another vote for Rigid. Fast recharge. Never had to use the warranty, but it is nice to know they back it up. Locally, it is as simple as an over the counter exchange. So no down time other than running to the store.

FDR

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I have a makita. it is ok. You can’t hold a candle to the rigid warranty that covers batteries.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m a GC, and also do a lot of self-performed work on my jobs. I had done work in the past for Milwaukee Electric and got tools at a discount.

Currently I have the following:

Milwaukee 18V & 24V kits with saw/drill/driver…..

I get frustrated with changing the batteries when in a hurry. They snap in tight, and work well in harsh conditions. But when trying to accomplish something quickly, the batteries always seem to be a pain in the Circular saw is heavy compared to my other brands, but functions great. As for the drivers and drills, works great, but nothing too special.

Dewalt – 18V 6 piece set. Saw is fantastic for weight/functionality. Sawzall is a piece of crap. Batteries continually loose contact, the quick release for the blades sticks, and in general, doesn’t “feel” right. Drills and drivers are tough and durable. I really like the flexible light head (great for night fishing ) In addition to the batteries that came with it, I get batteries at nearly every pawn shop I stop in at for a very reasonable price. I also got a pair of larger amp-hour batteries from an online source. Best investment I made on the Dewalt equipment! (besides the radio that was given to me by a Rep for my hassles with the crappy sawzall I abuse the dewalt equipment the most – rain, snow, dropping, dirt… and it has held up very well!

I got a Ridgid set from my B.I.L. to try out. Going on two years old, it has done very well. I am so impressed with the actual Lifetime Warranty terms from Ridgid. Most likely, when I ebay my dewalt and milwaukee stuff this fall, I would consider replacing all of it with Ridgid. My BIL has his entire framing crews outfitted with Ridgid and they beat the snot out of them. For the price point, I think currently Ridgid is the best value in a market where everyone cheapens up the quality of their products.

Mike W – That cordless nailer works great on posi nails for hangers & ties

jim eller

I have had the craftsman for 6 years and drilled many ice holes. Replaced the first battery this year after loaning it out for a week. Also love the impact driver.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

I’ve got a Makita impact workh now for 8 yrs. Original batts .And beieve me best deal out there is with the driver. I’m think both for 200.00. Now were talkin power

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks for the input, I’ll start looking for some ridgid’s.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.