It’s time to talk ice fishin’….

• Anonymous

As I write this, some of the smaller Annandale area lakes have 5″ of ice making it possible to “ice” some early season fish. Even though I am a guide, my preference is to fish out of a boat so you might say that I am a fair weather ice fishermen.

With this in mind, let’s hear about favorite presentations and fish holding locations through the ice and if your willing, share your favorite central MN lake. Jon

Anonymous

Hey JOhn,

I heard that Green has recently froze over. Anywaycould I get you to give a holler once it’s “good enough” to go?

Jim W

Anonymous

Crappies…..suspended over deep water! It’s like a video game on the vexilar!

Walleyes…..steep breaks! I like to jig ’em deep on their way to the shallow food shelf above where I run the tip-ups (night time is the best time…I like to see the red lights on the flags popping….bad thing everyone else sees those too)

Pike…..bays/flats with green vegetation….suspending big live bait off the flat height in the water column…on tip-ups of couse. That makes it hand to hand combat….grab the reins and ride the water wolves…yee ha.

Bluegills….on mud flats with a custom jigs and spin demon with a purple head tipped with wax worms on 4 lb test on a Thorne Bros. dead stick rod with spinning reel. How many have we catch in a minute 3, 5, as fast as the jig can go up and down the hole!!!!!

Does that sound like a good way to pass winter until the boating season cranks up again????

Anonymous

Sounds good TGIF…tonight was a little slow for crappies and walleyes (4 crappies & 1 walleye) with lot’s and lot’s of company from fellow fishermen!!

Jim…unfortunately I am not a good source for current ice conditions on Green. It’s my goto lake from May ’til September for smallies and night fishing walleyes…oops did I just let a “SECRET” out on this lake. Jon

Anonymous

John,

I forgot to add…..that it’s better on weekdays! I had 14 portables on the spot I fished Friday. I only told one person!!! 1st ice is the best yet risky. The best of the ice season will be over in my area in about 10 days. It only started 7 days ago. Bah Hum bug!

Last year Nate Cadwell and I fished pool 4 though on Jan. 15….I just got done going through rods, chasing after tackle….now I’ll be searching for crankbaits again! Selection is slim at this time of year though. Maybe we could wet a line sometime….I have relatives out that direction.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.