Opening fishing plans being made!

• Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Thinking of heading up to Winni for the opener! When I was a kid we would go out of Mcardles, but now not sure where to go or where to fish!
    Any help would be great!
    Thanks!

Logan
    Big Lake, MN

Try Tamerack out of High Banks, you will be centrally located. I went out of McCardell’s and Denny’s last year. Both are fine, but you need to drive a long ways to get to the hot spots. (Usually on the north end at that time).
    Be prepared for many many boats in the early time of the year. Maybe with Mille Lacs doing well lately, some of the people will be fishing there instead.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Perch bar has ALWAYS produced for me. and over by third river is where you will find me. Like they say be prepared for boats.

Also try back on cut foot for fish. theres some sunken islands and humps out there that produce fish as well

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The whole North shore and West shore are great places to start. I always go to the windiest side of the lake when possible. There may not always be as many fish but they are active. Light jigs with a Shiner are the ticket. Don’t be afraid to venture into water under 5 feet.

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

I am heading to Winni for opener and staying at the Gosh Dam Place. I am wondering where I am going to launch the boat? I suppose the public landings are going to be packed, but am willing to pay and launch out of a resort. Will the resorts be packed with people launching also and will they allow me to park there if I am not staying with them? Any help is appreciated.

Matt

tamarack
    Lake Winnibigoshish

Matt: Head on over by us. We typically launch about 40 -60 boats on opener. You have the benefit of personal service, a protected area for your rig. (No riff raff) and we can have a cool one after you come in with your limit. All this for only $10. We’re about 2 miles down 9 from the Gosh Dam, Just look for the sign.

Jeff

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Good possibility I’ll take you up on that offer. Is it possible to tie the boats up over night in your harbor? Or do you just allow that for those staying at your resort? Just wondering.

Matt

tamarack
    Lake Winnibigoshish

We’ll have to play that by ear. It depends a lot on the water level and how many boats we have in the water already. It would be no problem for you to leave your boat here on the trailer though if you don’t want to have it sit in the parking lot at GD. Remind me on opener and I’ll have an idea of how much room there is.

Jeff

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

I’ll be coming from Grand Rapids/Remer area! Is it easy to get to your place? I might have to take ya up on that offer! I’ll even provide the
    BEER!!!!!!!!!

tamarack
    Lake Winnibigoshish

Very easy to get here. Take 46 out of Deer River. We’re on Hyw 9 after you cross the Dam.

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Less then a week away! How’s it looking out there?

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Excellent,

The forcast looks great and least warm! Bens Bait has millions of perfect sized silver shiners. The water temps in are the upper 40’s to lower 50’s. The walleyes should be more then hungry.

Have fun, maybe will see ya out there

Bill Marty
    Bloomington,MN

Hello Sean I know this is a Winnie forum but I’m going to fish Bowstring this week. I need to catch one big fish. I was thinking about those midlake humps especially if the wind lays down like it looks like its going to do on Sunday. Do you have any experience out there? Thanks

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Sean, Great to see you on this site. I think I am going to take eff up on the invite to launch at Tamarack. I’ll call you on the water. Tim will probably be up there earlier than last year now that he has a new boat. I think it is a RANGER!!!!!!!!
    Hawghunter (Arnie)

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

I agree look to the deep humps on the Northend! Let us know how it goes over on bowstring.

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Arnie,

I’ll be on the water around 445 am and back to Bowens to pick up my customers at 800 am.

Looks like we might have a wet weekend, but it wouldn’t be opening weekend without rain or snow.

We are running channel 1 on the marine radio, see ya out there

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

Sean, I was thinking about hitting the water around midnight Do you think I am just wasting my time? I have never really heard anything positive about fishing winni at night. In fact most of what I have heard is pretty negative. What are your thoughts, do I have accurate info? I have thought about bobber fishing or pulling cranks in the shallows or anything inbetween. I just am very excited to be on the water Most of my winni fishing has been on the ice and I am still quite new to open water there. Any help is appreciated .

Matt

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Night fishing on winnie would be similiar to playing tennis with hockey skates. Not many people do it. I have tried it and you can find some fish, its not like Mille Lacs or other bodies that are successful.

In the end, if you willing, the fish might be willing.

Good Luck!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.