Opener Report

• sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

WinD, Icey rain, and cold temps made for some challenging fishing on Saturday. Sunday showed sun and calm waters to make a different challenge, but Winnie again provides good numbers and size.

The fish did come alive for us both days this weekend. Most of the fish we found came near the Mallard point area in depths of 5-7 foot. By Sunday afternoon we followed the fish into 4-6 foot.

The best presentation for us was a 1/16 oz MAXGAP jig in Chartruese and lime green two tone. The spot-tail shiners were the bait of choice. Speed played an important role. Most of the fish wanting an active bait liked the .5 MPH, then when the bite slowed we would slow down to .2-.3 MPH and find those less aggressives fish. Again Winnie provided for some great openeing weekend success, but the details were the key. Both days we found some fish more aggressive then others. Meaning that many of the fish wanted the jig active and others wanted it moved slowly. Don’t be afraid for snapping that jig.

With the warming forcast of the week, I would expect the bite to pick in more areas of the lake. Look for the Tamarack area along with areas near the Rock pile to get active this week.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sound like it’s going to be a good year up there Sean!

We’ll be up there the 24 – the 27, can you start the furnuce for us?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Hey …..dingle nut…….. Where are you staying up there??? Can you turn your T.V. down please!!!!! We’ll be up on the 26th at Beckers.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There goes the neighborhood!

We’ll be at Cutfoot Souix Inn. Beckers must be on the south side?

Dad’s not in too good of shape this year, I doubt if we’ll get out of Cutfoot…although I might head out by myself…don’t worry…I’ll find you. I just listen for the blaring tv…and the moaning…oh, that’s right…Buckshot won’t be with you. I’ll just listen for the tv….

You guys have a marine radio?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I am headed up tomorrow. We will be staying in the Deer Lake campground on Cutfoot. I’ll have the marine radio on channel 14 so give me a shout.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Brian, Bigfife say’s 14 so my radio will be on scan. Talk to ya later. Bigfife, How long you staying up there?

paff
    owatonna, mn.

Hey Chappy….too bad we never met up on the river….as it went I only made it twice this year but had some QT with the kids I will be up at Beckers on Winnie the afternoon of june second…..will you still be around? If so if you still have my cel # give me a call with a report I am up for a short time and if I could cut any corners on finding fish I would be very thankfull. If you do not have my cel I can email it to you as I still have that address. Thanks for your help and good luck.
    paff

chappy
    Hastings, MN

No ,I’ll be home and back to work by then.Well……I’ll be back home anyways. I will give you a report when I get home. Sounds like Shinners and jigs in the shallows.I’ll let you know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.