Shields is was Hot!!!

• Anonymous

I fished Shields on Weds. afternoon. Ice was thin! 3-4 inches where I fished, but rumbling and thickening. I was fishing for walleyes only and got into them good. I was alone and there were no other anglers around. I set a tip-up with a fathead in 6 ft of water along a ledge rock area and it got clobbered by a 7-8 lb pike at 3:30 in the afternoon. I caught another pike about 3-4 lbs on the tip-up. Then 2 more, but with each one caught they got smaller. I released all the pike. Meanwhile while not on tip-up duty I was jigging flash spoons, jigging raps, non-glow jigs with and without bait. Around 4:45 pm the walleyes began to hit under my portable in 14 ft. of water (I moved up into 11 ft. as the fish moved along the base of a break). The first walleye was 16″ a good sign. Then a 17″. Then another 16″, then 3 14 inchers. Then I lost another 16″ at the hole….slipped out of my hand. I caught one more 15″ on a tip-up and that was my last fish. The bite came to an abrupt stop around 6:10 pm then I got the last walleye and it was deadsville after 6:30 pm.

The best presentation for me for the walleyes was a non-glow jig (even after dark) with a small shiner minnow….which I ran out of….I thought a dozen would have done it for a 3 hour trip. I was wrong. The fatheads weren’t as appealing to the walleyes. The fish would look at ’em and leave, but the shiners were hit with a good ole’ tap, tap, tap, set, fish on!

I kept 2 15″ and a 16″ (A good limit in my opinion) I let everything else go.

The forecast for Friday warm (don’t get your hopes up) and WINDY. Yes 15-25 mph winds again. I hope the ice holds this time. It would be hell to get stuck out there if it opened up again. Be safe. TGIF

Anonymous

TGIF thanks for the great report!
    Sounds like I missed the boat here… or slead that is…. but, I did have a great time in Mpls with the wife and kids. We saw Santa…
    Real nice to hear you pounded them on early ice!
    Dave Hoggard

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.