SHIELDS LAKE BASS

• bassguy
    MANKATO

The water clarity is finally getting better on the general as has the bassin’. Caught around 35 bass in 6hours, most in the pound to two pound range with a few hawgs as big as 5lb 1 oz. Doggies were also active with some lost tackle along the way. Water level is above normal. Big plastics were the ticket as usual.

alkfish
    St Paul MN

A few weeks ago our tues night bass league weighed in one at 7# 3 oz! Definately some big boys in there.

bassguy
    MANKATO

Nice horse there Was she released?

bassguy
    MANKATO

Out on Sunday, and landed and released a 21″ 5pound 15 oz pig. There were a lot of bass boats out, the most I have ever seen on this lake.

GrantSWilson

She was released. Nice fish. Biggest bass I’ve ever seen in MN.

TritonCrazy

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Where is this lake? I’ve not fished it and don’t know anything about it.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Faribault.

There are lots of good bass lakes in the general area, with some BIG TUNAS!!!!

bassguy
    MANKATO

Triton,
    I mounted a 7pound 3 ouncer and released a 7 pound 5 ouncer at the General. It can be a tough bite here a lot. You just have to keep casting and be sure to re-tie often because they are fighters. Catch and release is crucial and I often catch the same fish throughout the season.

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Riggy- when you say big plastics, can you give me an example of what you mean. I don’t normally target bass but I am thinking of trying it a little. I want to make sure I am using the right equipment.

bassguy
    MANKATO

Midnight,

I Throw 8″ bulky ribbontail type worms and 6 ” lizards about 90 percent of my bass fishin. When I know the bass are “on”, I throw 8inch lizards and sometimes 10 inch worms. I texas rig most of the time, always with a rattle. It’s a confidence game when it comes to color. Over the years I have limited my colors to 6 or 7 for “big Fish”. Of these colors, there are two colors I strictly throw when going for the state record in the fall.

dr_hook
    Minnestrista

Planning on making a run at the bass this weekend on Shields and Mazaska. Have the weeds laid down on Mazaska?

Have the early fall girls been biting on either lake?

Jeff

bassguy
    MANKATO

It looks like it from the road as I pass that lake. Shields water level dropping. Fished a good half day on Monday with one bite and a 2lb drum. Cold front conditions.

dr_hook
    Minnestrista

Slow this weekend for us. 2 fish on Mazaska and blanked on Shields.

alkfish
    St Paul MN

Ultimate bass is having a tourney on Shields 9/18, so the lake has seen a TON of pressure the last 2-3 weeks. Will rebound soon.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Does anyone know the results of this tourny?

alkfish
    St Paul MN

1st place 21+ , 2nd place 20.45. Here is a link of 1st place pic.

Hardcore Fishing

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.