Strikemaster Lazer Hand Augers

• Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Wondering if anybody is having trouble with the strikemaster CHINA made lazer hand augers or is it cleared up. I know some were having issues with them cutting last couple years. Looking to buy a new hand auger either Nils master 6″ or a lazer 5″ a 4 1/2″ nils I think would be tight with a big crappie. I fish mainly panfish in the mississippi backwaters without a locator. The only bad thing I have heard on the nils is that they leave alot of slush in the holes. Any opinions ?

gary d
    cordova,il

I have Nils 6 inch and love it. As for chips of ice I don’t think it makes anymore than with my lazer 5 inch. One thing you have to remember is that the blades of the nils are a little price-c-. I would be very careful with blades. I have read were people have cut though the ice and hit an object and it has damages the blades. I am 63 with bad shoulders and cut though the ice with ease. You just let the auger do the cutting with no down pressure. I love it!!!

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

The new Laser hand augers are weak where the blades attach -I have a 5 and a 6 that both bent the bottom flight. Bent them back but wait till next time. I just started using a Nils 6″ and love how easy it drills – since both hands provide power, it seems easier to turn. At $70 for replacement Nils blades I’m being extra careful with it. _ The flight on the Nils is smaller than the blade diameter so it does leave a lot of slush in the hole.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

That explains cutting issues… things getting tweaked.

Thanks guys for the input. About what I figured with the strikemaster, they are made accross the pond = JUNK!

Same thing happened to there fillet knifes in my opinion sure glad I have a couple vintage ones still nice flex and not like using a 1/8″ piece of flat iron sharpened. This is to bad as I here alot of complaints on the augers. I’ll be going with a NILS 6″ still quality made in Finland . Called nils USA and talked to a real person about the augers. Now that’s something different. I have no problem paying for QAULITY. The guy at nils USA said the heads for the augers were so expensive because they are all hand made one at a time. Just my 2 cents worth.

carmike

Good to hear you went with the Nils. I’ve tried a bunch of hand augers, and they’re the best and toughest I’ve used. I’m sure you’ll be happy with it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.