Has anyone tried live bait other than the usual?

• tgh22

It’s my first trip to the Pond in a couple of weeks and I heard the bite is pretty tough. Has anyone tried shiners or bait other than crawlers and leeches?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Minnows work well this time of year when used with spinners. Usually fatheads or rainbow minnows work best and are easier to keep alive and cost less.

tgh22

Thanks Derek.
    I’m still 2 weeks out from the trip so who knows what will be going on by then.

Jason_N
    St. Cloud, Minnesota, USA

Derek,

Minnows on spinners?? I’ve had a couple of guys say that to me before, but I thought they were just pulling my leg. I guess it’s something that I just don’t try on Milly for some reason. I shouldn’t be so closed-minded!!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I will switch over to using minnows on spinners later in the season. Late Sept/early Oct timeframe. This time of year it’s crawler and leeches for me. Just a lot easier to keep them alive. That’s alive in the boat and between trips! But you can definitely run minnows on spinner rigs, and a lot of guys do.

On a side note. I have had terrible luck running spinners so far this year. This is one of those years where you need to slow down and finesse fish with a lindy rig…or even slower by anchoring up and bobber fish them. The fish have plenty to eat and you need to force feed them some desert.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Yes Jason, many folks overlook the minnow spinner combo in July and August. It can really turn the bite on. I cant say they are not working right now as I have yet to try them. I plan on going to spinners next week.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.