Frustrated Smallie Angler

• Joe Vella

Hey Everyone! I am new on here. I’m from Chicago but I am working in Sister Bay for the summer. I am new to smallie fishing as of last year.

This year has had some major ups and downs. Late May into mid June was a hog fest. However around June 23rdish my catches started to drop to the point that now I am not catching any flippin fish! Not even dinks. I am fishing spots where there should be fish but I blank. This has really been bugging me and has made me reconsider my skill level which I do not think is the problem!!!

Someone help I need a fishing psychiastrist!! lol

Tyler Kalishek
    Cedar Falls, IA

Dude that is a tough one. I’ve only fished up there in June. I think those fish tend to roam and follow pelagic fish like the alewives later in the year, but I’m not completely sure. You could definitely try deeper structure or idle around and try to find baitfish schools

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Just because we think fish should be in a certain spot, it doesn’t make it so. Fish follow food and like specific conditions to live comfortably. Just like you and I.

Fish patterns change.

Follow Randy’s advice.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I make a family trip up there every year in August. Last year was a lot tougher, but the year before was awesome. I would try drop shotting the reefs outside of ephraim and sister bay. jackall crosstails were always a good bait out there for that. It doesn’t seem like the fishery is in the same class that it once was. You can always run out to Chambers if you can’t find fish on the shoals. I would be targeting 10-25 FOW for starters. Hope that helps!

Joe Vella

July has been tough. Still not finding them like I did last year around this time. My neighbor is complaining he only caught 7 TOTAL this year.For the 2 months I have been here, maybe have caught 70-100 with majority caught in Late May and early June. Going to head farther south to around Chambers and Strawberry. Since the spring, I have not seen a lot of guys out bass fishing.

Is July normally this tough?? What’s everyone’s opinion of the higher water level pushing fish to new areas(that i can’t find :P)

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Like I said I started noticing a big change in the fishery last year. The year before we were averaging 20-50 smallies a day drop shotting on the reefs. The next year during the same time period we were catching 5 a day. I’m not really sure why that’s happening. That being said I have not been there since May. May was good, but not as good as years past. Mid summer is always more tough than when they are up shallow spawning or getting ready to spawn.

I think going to Chambers would be a good idea. Unless you find the odd school that might be up shallow, I still think drop shoting is the best way to catch them when they are on off shore structure.

Tyler Kalishek
    Cedar Falls, IA

Joe do you have any updates for us on your bass pursuit? Hopefully you’re luck has changed.

Joe Vella

Here is my update:

Left DC to go to Ames, Iowa for school so my report is up until about August 18. The bite was really inconsistent after posting this until about July 26th. During this inconsistency I found fish in spots where they should be but they would move out quickly (like within 3 hours of finding them) to God knows where.

On July 26th everything got much more consistent with fish on main lake points, 20ft flats with bait, and dropoffs from about 15-25ft. They were really aggressive biters and most bites were right on the fall with a dropshot. However, my trolling motor broke about 2 weeks before I left so it was a bit difficult to stay on fish making drifts so I started to fish walleyes. After the motor was fixed, I got back on them but not much size even in deeper water. Many “community holes” I fished this year produced much better last year and I had a much more consistent bite around early August in 2015.

My plan next year is to start exploring areas in Ephraigm and around Chambers. My conclusions this year:
    1.If your trolling motor kicks the can, you are basically screwed without a very favorable wind.
    2. Smallmouth fishing sucks in July unless you find a good patch of fish
    3. There’s just something about walleyes that keeps you coming back for more.
    4. If you don’t catch any fish in primo spots, they may just not be there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.