Frontenac State Park

• Ryan P
    Farmington

I hope this is a good spot to ask this question. One thing I’ve wanted to do since becoming a father was starting a yearly camping trip with my boys. I think this summer I’m going to give it a shot with my oldest (5 year old). We will be staying in a tent. I’m looking for something around Lake City (that’s where my boat is) but would like it to be a little more rustic and secluded than the campground in town. Has anyone ever stayed at Frontenac State Park? I was thinking this would be a better option but still have things like a restroom. I know it seems a ways out but I’ve heard you need to reserve sites pretty far in advance. Is this a good option on a place to stay or are there other recommended places? Also, I would like to be able to take the boy out fishing during the day. If I do will I have to worry about leaving the tent set up at the site or do I need to take it down? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

When you say campground in town are you talking about Hok si la? Hok si la has some secluded tent spots close to the beach (away from other campers) with great shore fishing during the day and at night.

Frontenac is a nice campground for hiking and wildlife. The only downfall for me is the limited access to the shore.

Both are worth trying out

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

We’ve camped many times at Frontenac and it’s a perfectly nice state park. Good restrooms/showers, nice facilities.

The views from the top of the bluff are really something. Bring binocs for eagle watching and general sight seeing.

I have never had any problems with theft from camp in dozens of tent camping trips to state parks including Frontenac. Obviously we never leave high value items in camp, but then we don’t camp with many high value items anyway. I lock the kids bikes up and that’s about it. I’ve heard that high-dollar Yeti style coolers can be a theft target these days in some campgrounds, so that’s one item I wouldn’t leave behind anywhere.

Nice park, go for it.

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not sure about boat access to the camping areas.
    Make sure you don’t have to climb the 480′ bluff to get to a campsite!

They sell shirts there that say “I survived the Riverside Trail”.

My only concern would be getting from the boat to your campsite. Besides that… I might see you out there!

This photo was taken at the legendary overlook.

Attachments:
    1. Frontenac-State-Park-Overlook.jpeg

Ryan P
    Farmington

I guess I should elaborate. I’m not looking for shore access for the boat. I will have it on the trailer and launch when or if we decide to use it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You’re golden then.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.