Fort Meyers Fishing

• weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Going to Fort Meyers mid April and curious if anybody been fishing out of there and has a recommendation for a guide/charter? My interweb search brings up plenty to choose from but always nice to hear first hand experience. Would love to try for some tarpon but is that too early for them? Otherwise, just want to catch some fish.

michael keehr

I don’t have a recommendation for a guide but I have a friend that has a house down there. They have been fishing 50 miles off shore and catching quite a few grouper. They have been seeing a few tarpon already as well. It may bee a lite early for the big runs of tarpon but they can still be caught In April. Maybe look up Ben Olsen from Thorne Brothers. I know he quids down there now but not sure what area.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

If your willing to drive an hour south I would recommend Ms B Haven out of Naples, FL

Jpb70

Going to Fort Meyers mid April and curious if anybody been fishing out of there and has a recommendation for a guide/charter? My interweb search brings up plenty to choose from but always nice to hear first hand experience. Would love to try for some tarpon but is that too early for them? Otherwise, just want to catch some fish.

Jason Hamernick guides Tarpon out of Marco Island.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

If you just wanna catch fish, and not trophy fish basically what i learned down there was fish around docks or poles with a lead jig with a shrimp, my son and i hired a guide and told him we just wanted to catch fish and it was a good time, lady fish,pompano,sheeps head,nothing huge but caught fish most of the morning. we went out into estero bay.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Thanks for the replies all. I will look into these guides.

Get ahold of Kevin Aley , http://www.sfloridaoutfitters.com I just fished with him last week. He is top notch. I had some of the best snook fishing in 4 hours I’ve heard of!

Brant, how did you go about fishing the snook? Are they up in the bays or do you chase them deep?

brant_gilmore
    New Providence,Ia

They were up in the bays. We had warm weather before I got there and while there. Fishing a clam bed and the trees along shore where fish were feeding.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Inter costal waters up against the mangroves in 5fow we hammered the sheep head.

Attachments:
    1. 94A0D62E-51EC-46B5-AB5D-62260A8B952D.jpeg

2. 5A083842-A6ED-46BF-AB90-5C33FD781DC2.jpeg

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Inter costal waters up Against the mangroves in 5ft we hammered the sheep head.

Those things are sure fun to catch!

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Looks like fun Bigcrappie! Wouldnt mind getting into a mess of those.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>weedis wrote:</div>

If you just wanna catch fish, and not trophy fish basically what i learned down there was fish around docks or poles with a lead jig with a shrimp, my son and i hired a guide and told him we just wanted to catch fish and it was a good time, lady fish,pompano,sheeps head,nothing huge but caught fish most of the morning. we went out into estero bay.

I do plan on bring my collapsable rod with so will try some fishing on my own too.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I spend a fair amount of time in FM FLA what are you looking for? Charter for eaters? Big fish? I have friends that work for Captain Tony’s adventures so I usually go out with them. It’s a big charter boat, they go out to a reef, you drop your line down and reel up fish. Once they clean out the reef they move to the next. Get a large variety of good eating reef fish. Julie and I usually fill a 5 gallon pail and contribute to others pails when we go out.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I spend a fair amount of time in FM FLA what are you looking for? Charter for eaters? Big fish? I have friends that work for Captain Tony’s adventures so I usually go out with them. It’s a big charter boat, they go out to a reef, you drop your line down and reel up fish. Once they clean out the reef they move to the next. Get a large variety of good eating reef fish. Julie and I usually fill a 5 gallon pail and contribute to others pails when we go out.

Ideally, a shallow water tarpon bite but sounds like a little early for that. Still thinking shallow water fishing but end of the day just want to catch fish. Any recommemdations on resteraunts, bars, other activities we should do?

Jpb70

Twin peaks right by airport.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jesse Krook wrote:</div>

Ideally, a shallow water tarpon bite but sounds like a little early for that. Still thinking shallow water fishing but end of the day just want to catch fish. Any recommemdations on resteraunts, bars, other activities we should do?

Tarpon should be showing up mid april down there. Take a guided trip to Boca Grande.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Twin peaks right by airport.

Thanks, will look into Jason too

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jesse Krook wrote:</div>

Tarpon should be showing up mid april down there. Take a guided trip to Boca Grande.

Thanks Pug!

blackbay
    mn

Any recommendations on restaurants, bars, other activities we should do?

I suppose that depends on where in FM you are staying. Ford’s Garage is a fun restaurant plus there is shopping for those interested. A drive to Sanibel and Captiva Islands is a good time. J. N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge is fun to explore. There’s a ton of places to eat from spendy to affordable. The Mucky Duck on Captiva is pretty neat but gets packed. My kids liked the Lazy Flamingo because they serve the kids meals on frisbies which come in handy at the beach. Traffic sucks but the beaches are well worth it. I enjoy the Florida “theme” restaurants when I’m down there. Like the Lazy Flamingo, Salty’s, Crabby’s, Sharky’s,, Nervous Nellie’s… They almost always have good drinks and food and are a good time. Oh and don’t forget a sunset boat cruise or dolphin cruise. Yea it’s touristy but that’s the point about being a tourist. -)

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I suppose that depends on where in FM you are staying. Ford’s Garage is a fun restaurant plus there is shopping for those interested. A drive to Sanibel and Captiva Islands is a good time. J. N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge is fun to explore. There’s a ton of places to eat from spendy to affordable. The Mucky Duck on Captiva is pretty neat but gets packed. My kids liked the Lazy Flamingo because they serve the kids meals on frisbies which come in handy at the beach. Traffic sucks but the beaches are well worth it. I enjoy the Florida “theme” restaurants when I’m down there. Like the Lazy Flamingo, Salty’s, Crabby’s, Sharky’s,, Nervous Nellie’s… They almost always have good drinks and food and are a good time. Oh and don’t forget a sunset boat cruise or dolphin cruise. Yea it’s touristy but that’s the point about being a tourist. -)

Thanks for all the suggestions Blackbay. We have quite the list going now on places to go. We are staying on the Estero Island and some of those places you mentioned we were looking. Will have to look into the sunset cruise, might be a good one on the Wifes bday!

blackbay
    mn

Weedis,

Bring a lot of change and bills for the trolly. Traffic on the island SUCKS! My dad had a place on the south end and it wasn’t uncommon for it to take an hour to get to the Times Square area.

Oh and don’t be scared to ease out into traffic. People will actually let you merge, unlike here.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blackbay wrote:</div>

Thanks for all the suggestions Blackbay. We have quite the list going now on places to go. We are staying on the Estero Island and some of those places you mentioned we were looking. Will have to look into the sunset cruise, might be a good one on the Wifes bday!

Just got back from there. Yup traffic sucks on the island. Like 30 minutes to go 1.5 miles. Pinchers was another fun place to eat on the southern end of the island. They had live music and it’s first come first serve. Avoid the Lani Kai at all cost.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Weedis,

Bring a lot of change and bills for the trolly. Traffic on the island SUCKS! My dad had a place on the south end and it wasn’t uncommon for it to take an hour to get to the Times Square area.

Oh and don’t be scared to ease out into traffic. People will actually let you merge, unlike here.

I think thats our plan, not even rent a car and just use the trolly system. Uber from airport to lodging.
    Ripjiggin we will check that place out, thanks for heads up and suggestions all.

rmartin
    United States

You can actually get to the airport by city bus.The beach trolleys can get you to beach park & ride. From there you catch the #50 bus. Takes an hour from BP&R. You could do it all for <$6, <$3 if a senior

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

You can actually get to the airport by city bus.The beach trolleys can get you to beach park & ride. From there you catch the #50 bus. Takes an hour from BP&R. You could do it all for <$6, <$3 if a senior

Thanks for the tip, might just have to do that

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.