Flying with equipment

• glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Anyone flown before to an ice fishing destination with their gear ? I was wondering what they would say about a battery in my flasher. I figured I could check my big suitcase and my Otter rod box and tear down my flasher to fit.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Can ya rent a flasher at your destination???

Mark

munchy
    NULL

Remove all Lithium batteries and put them in your carry-on. Standard batteries are fine in checked luggage but it is recommended to also have them disconnected and in your carry-on if at all possible.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

MKE thought my lx5 could be a deination devise. I got introduced to a lot of TSA security and a sherrif.
    The TSA at DEN found that gulp will xray and have similar image to C4. That made for a long afternoon having explosive “professionals” wiping down all my gear and testing for residue…
    I suggest less for carry on and do more checked in. Definitely remove any batteries!

munchy
    NULL

“gulp will xray and have similar image to C4”

I heard Gulp was dynamite but never thought they were being literal. moon

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Thanks everyone I never planned on carrying anything on except what I normally do I just planned on checking everything. But the battery thing had me worried. This is just a trip to Colorado to fish with my son and I could leave the battery at home and just buy a non Lithium out there and just leave it there for him. We’ll be fishing for Lakers and rainbow so I won’t be packing any gulp I don’t use it anyway. Should probably just buy what they use out there for success then just leave it for him.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

According to the SCI hunter’s travel guide, you must have a non-conductive, insulated cover or non-conductive material protecting all exposed battery terminals so they cannot come in contact with anything metal and short, even when the battery is removed from a device (which it must be).

I totally agree, trying to carry on ANY of the stuff listed would just ask for trouble. TSA employees cannot handle anything that deviated from the socks and underwear they normally see and unfortunately they seldom if ever know their own rules, so checking it is the only way to go IMO.

A box of fishing flies that were in my carry-on to England produced a 15-minute TSA supervisor debate on whether or not the flies constituted deadly weapons. I desperately wanted to tell them that NOBODY could be considered less deadly with the dry fly than could I. Believe me, the fish are only at risk from dying of laughter and boredom when I’m on the stream, seldom if ever are any fish in mortal perial from my flies.

Grouse

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Also they didn’t tell ya, you are not suppose to have any fishing line on any of your fishing reels. So you are supposed to have all your fishing spools removes from all reels too.

Something like fishing line can be used to strangle another person in the bond movies or something to the like. Because it’s on a fishing reel, it can be deployed as a deadly weapon like a light sabre.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

A friend tried to carry on several multi-piece fly rods in an aluminum tube. The TSA people spent half an hour hemming and hawing about whether or not a 5 weight fly rod was or was not, in fact, a deadly weapon that was banned on aircraft.

In the end, they allowed him to proceed, so he packed his rods back into the 3 foot long, high strength, aluminum tube and went on his way.

So fixated were the TSA people on the rods that it never did it occur to the TSA people that the TUBE…

Nevermind…

Grouse

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.