FLX 28 in deep water

• Timmy

Has anyone here used, or seen a Vexilar FLX 28 used in deep water (over 50′ in depth)?

The deepest manual depth range is 50′ – and deeper than that the operator needs to use the auto range which is a 300′ scale.

My question is – say I am fishing in 60′ of water, in auto mode, does the unit adjust the scale to use most of the dial for the 60′ of water?

Or…..does it go straight to a 300′ scale and only utilize about 20% of the available screen? Being that my primary fishing is in deep water for trout, I spend the majority of my time in 50-70′ of water and if only a small portion of the screen will be used, this unit will be on the chopping block shortly.

I can not find the answer in the manual.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It does have more ranges in auto mode. I can’t remember the actual increments but I used it in 135′ last year on superior and I was quite pleased with the range and performance.

I generally don’t like using the auto range but it does work quite well in deep water.

Timmy

Thank you. That’s what I was hoping for!

As biggill notes, it works really well. I’ve used mine out from Bayfield and lake trout fishing a number of times without any issues over 200′. I believe the unit can settle on any 5′ increment.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

As biggill notes, it works really well. I’ve used mine out from Bayfield and lake trout fishing a number of times without any issues over 200′. I believe the unit can settle on any 5′ increment.

If I remember correctly though the increments get larger as you get deeper. I think I had a 150′ range when I was in 130′.

It might go in 20′ increments over 60′. Then 50′ increments over 100′.

I could be wrong.

Just so you know, the main reason I bought an FLX-28 over an LX-7 is for its deep water capability. The marcums were having serious issues with the firmware in deep water at the time so I just couldn’t convince myself to buy one. I haven’t regretted it one bit.

Timmy

Thanks fellas. I intend to prove you correct in roughly 24 hours……. If all goes according to plan, my butt will be planted over a out 60′ of water off a small, unnamed island island in ontario trying to convince a laker to hit. woot

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.