Flathead Catfish Rig

• Travis

I am looking to do some flathead catfishing on the Susquehanna River and just want to get some thoughts on line/leader. The Susquehanna has produced some flatheads over 40 pounds but the area I am in will likely only produce fish up to 25 pounds.
    I have a rod and reel that is capable of handling a fish this size. It is currently loaded up with 50-pound braid and I bought some mono to use as a leader. My question is how long should the leader be and how should I attach it to the braid?

My idea is to use a triple swivel and just ty the braid to one end, the heavy mono and hook to another, and then lighter mono around 8 – 12 pounds to the third end with a sinker.

I plan to fish the lower side of a rock ledge around 10 feet deep from my boat with a mix of cut bait, live sunfish, and possibly even some small bullheads if I can get my hands on some. What are your thoughts on my setup, or what should I do different in attaching the braid and mono.

Also, how do you recommend I present the live bait? I only have experience fishing cut bait for channel cats from the bank.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Why be so complicated? Three ways just tangle for me and that means I’m not fishing.

I use 80 pound hi vis braid to the hook. A no roll or bank sinker above the swivel with the leader (80 pound braid) of about 18″.

Hook the bullies or gills behind the dorsal fin but ahead of the tail.

Size 8/0 Super J Team Catfish hook or a 10/0 Gami J hook. I like the Super J a bit better as it has a dip in the bend that holds the bait on a bit better.

Cut bait? A good size Circle would be my choice but I don’t fish for flat much with cut.

There will be more opinions coming I’m sure. Use the one you have the most confidence in.

Let us know how you do….and photos!

Travis

Why be so complicated? Three ways just tangle for me and that means I’m not fishing.

I use 80 pound hi vis braid to the hook. A no roll or bank sinker above the swivel with the leader (80 pound braid) of about 18″.

Hook the bullies or gills behind the dorsal fin but ahead of the tail.

Size 8/0 Super J Team Catfish hook or a 10/0 Gami J hook. I like the Super J a bit better as it has a dip in the bend that holds the bait on a bit better.

Cut bait? A good size Circle would be my choice but I don’t fish for flat much with cut.

There will be more opinions coming I’m sure. Use the one you have the most confidence in.

Let us know how you do….and photos!

I was thinking the three way because it will allow me to break off the sinker if I end up stuck rather then having to move the boat around to get loose and then having to motor back up and anchor again or cut my braid at the boat. Perhaps I am over thinking.

As far as the cut bait, there are more channel cats around my area then flatheads so I am hoping the cut bait just keeps us entertained on channels if the flatheads don’t show up.

Thanks for the tip on hook size and where to hook them. I have heard of some people using 2 hooks on bullies but I wasn’t sure if that is the “go to” or even necessary.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.