Fish to knock off the list: 2020

I’m really trying to broaden my bass-oriented horizons this year. There’s a couple of fish that have been waiting to be crossed off my list for several years now. I’ll actually give it a shot this year. Those fish include:

Channel Cat
    Flathead Cat
    Tiger Muskie
    Sauger
    Brown Trout
    Brook Trout
    Tiger Trout
    White Sucker
    Assorted Redhorse Species
    Assorted Buffalo Species
    Dogfish (Bowfin)
    White Crappie
    White Bass
    Yellow Bass
    Carp
    The Elusive Muskie
    Creek Chub
    Orangespotted Sunfish
    Warmouth
    Longnose Gar
    Shortnose Gar
    Lake Whitefish
    Cisco

I’m not looking for size. I’m just trying to catch one and move on. If you have any idea how or where to catch one within an hour or so of the metro area, I’d really appreciate it. Are there any fish you’re trying to knock off the list this year?

Thanks,
    FDCMN

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Returning to Mexico this year to try to cross off Wahoo from my bucket list. In May, headed to LA and try to cross off Redfish. Next week, will spend a late evening on the ice trying for Burbot.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Hoping to knock off sheepshead in Clearwater FL this coming weekend. Maybe a few other species. I’m not a guy that really cares about knocking off species but I’ve been excited to go after sheepshead again after watching a guy battle them last year when I was down there.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Musky! Well for me not necessarily a new species…a species with a new method. I’ve caught a lot of Bass and Pike with a fly rod. This winter I built a 10 weight rod and I’m tying some big flies, hopefully next summer I can hang a Musky.

Good luck with Tiger Trout, that’s a rare one.

S.R.

tangler
    Inactive

You should start on pool 2 and the connecting mn river as you have a chance at 8-9 species right there.

Tiger trout, I think your only chance is streams in SE MN. You want a stream with both brooks and browns present obviously.

Tiger muskies are stocked in metro area lakes like nokomis and Harriet.

Your best bet is to hit the lake finder app on the DNR website and start poring over the surveys to see what’s in the lakes.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Drive down to Minneopa Creek near Mankato to get your chub and you have a shot at like 8 of the fish on your list all using the same presentation. If you direct message me, I can give you a specific spot as well.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Tiger Muskie – they are, in theory, present naturally in any system that has a pure strain muskie and northern pike…but realistically you should pick a lake that the DNR stocks with them. There’s about a dozen, mostly in the greater metro area. I’ve caught a few of them the past three seasons (all by accident bass fishing). The current state record is from Lake Elmo in Washington County. Here’s a 33 incher from last July.

Attachments:
    1. July-tiger.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Tiger muskies are stocked in metro area lakes like nokomis and Harriet.

City lakes like Harriet and Calhoun are stocked with pure strains, not tigers. I thought that too and then looked it up. Nokomis is in fact stocked with tigers, along with 10 other lakes.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Green Sunfish
    Snook

FryDog62

Gimruis, you’ve caught some nice Tigers the last few years. One of the prettiest freshwater fish. I would like to catch a Tiger, Wiper or Peacock Bass this year..

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Frydog62, my personal best Wiper, trolling a Rattle Trap.

Attachments:
    1. FA11CC7D-8200-40BF-9770-A13FD2798900.jpeg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Dave what was the weight and length?

tangler
    Inactive

That’s a heck of a fish, might have to get after them one of these years.

The existence of the Wiper will be news to people here in the midwest who call white bass “stripers.” mrgreen

uninc4709

St Croix/Mississippi will cover majority of that list.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I’ve already got two new species this year, white crappie and cisco. Even though I have caught them before I would like to get better at fishing for musky and brown trout.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

So each of the last two seasons I’ve had lake trout and musky. Got lake trout off the list in September. Musky however…. still have the cellophane wrapper on the net I bought doah Will this be the year I finally put some real time in the hunt?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

That looks like a great list for 3 weeks 9 hours. As far as a personal list I would like to pick up a trout this year. I have 80% of the MN fish already knocked off the list.
    Since your name is Fishingdakotacountyn I am guessing you are in Dakota county. If that is the case I can help with muskies and Tiger muskies.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Gag grouper. Catch and cook!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Returning to Mexico this year to try to cross off Wahoo from my bucket list. In May, headed to LA and try to cross off Redfish. Next week, will spend a late evening on the ice trying for Burbot.

Those Wahoo are a crazy fast fish. Got the chance to fish Wahoo, Mahi mahi, and Tuna a few years back in the Bahamas. One of the most fun fishing outings I’ve ever been on. We hooked a Wahoo. and it rain probably 100 yards to the right of the boat and in the blink of a eye it turned and was 100 yards to the left of the boat in just a few seconds. In addition they are beautiful fish and really tasty. On our final night on the bahamas trip we ate Wahoo, Mahi mahi, tuna, Snapper, Fresh caught lobster and stone crabs, and a cowboy ribeye. I’ve never enjoyed a meal more in my life. Good luck to you on your trip

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SuperDave1959 wrote:</div>

Those Wahoo are a crazy fast fish. Got the chance to fish Wahoo, Mahi mahi, and Tuna a few years back in the Bahamas. One of the most fun fishing outings I’ve ever been on. We hooked a Wahoo. and it rain probably 100 yards to the right of the boat and in the blink of a eye it turned and was 100 yards to the left of the boat in just a few seconds. In addition they are beautiful fish and really tasty. On our final night on the bahamas trip we ate Wahoo, Mahi mahi, tuna, Snapper, Fresh caught lobster and stone crabs, and a cowboy ribeye. I’ve never enjoyed a meal more in my life. Good luck to you on your trip

Thanks! Last year was a pretty good year for the list. Checked boxes on the Dorado, Tuna, Tarpon and Snook. To date, the tuna was the hardest fighting fish of my life! My arms were so sore the next day that I didn’t even want to reel in a fish.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

King Salmon, Brown Trout, Lakers and Rainbows. Have a family trip to Sheboygan, Wi and booked a morning charter. Battling big fish will be fun for my 7 and 9 year old.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Small fish are the gateway drug to bigger and bigger fish. Addicted and chasing the rush.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

My Florida trip went well and I knocked off sheepshead, speckled trout, lane snapper, mangrove snapper, and Black Sea bass while I was down there. It’s unreal how much harder saltwater fish fight than freshwater. Fun few days of fishing.

Attachments:
    1. 98472D94-A1D0-4358-BFFB-B8DE15D66200.jpeg

2. D9BE229C-5808-4D3B-902D-2B2F9A49E899.jpeg

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.