First time ice fishing for Lake Trout in Ely. Help

Hey there. I’m heading up towards the Ely area this weekend in hopes to get my first lake trout through the ice. I don’t have much to go on, other then some things I have read here and on Da google. I’m hoping to be able to drive the truck out somewhere or maybe walk and ice camp for a few nights. No snowmobile. Does anyone have any insight on lakes and accesses up there? How’s the fishing? I fish in Ely a bit. I was up checking out public access sites last weekend. Didn’t see much vehicle traffic. Any help would be awesome!! Thank you.

Spencer Haugen

I found Steve foss guides service has been the best for information up there!

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Burntside or snowbank is your best bet to get a laker. I do not believe anyone plows a road on snowbank. On burntside usually they plow a road out from the van vac public access.

Tinker
    Iron Range

Steve Foss is a good source for info. Also check Arrowhead Outdoors in Ely.

Aboxy17

I would stick with a snowbank. It is pretty hard to get around without a snowmobile. The best plan is to snowmobile to the far edge of the no-motor zone and hike as far as you think you are able to away from that line and sit on some structure. If the snowpack is melted enough you may be able to drive. I am not sure where the lakers are this time of year but I have heard reports of shallower fish caught. I would also check out Steve Foss. Good luck.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips. Getting ready to head up now. Thinking I’m going to try and get out on B side. If I get into them. I’ll be sure to post a report. Any tips on bait or lure choices?

Well it went pretty decent. I got up late Friday night and kinda just went with the info from the Arrowhead newsletter. I set up on a bunch of bait fish in van vac in 36’ and in the morning I had trout on my cam. Didn’t get one to commit until right before I left Sunday. Got a 25.25” on the rattle reel, after playing with the thing for a hour with a bucktail. Was a great trip up to Ely as always. Thanks to the guys who threw me some info. I appreciate it. Glad to get the first Laker in the books!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.