Favorite Perch rod

• al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

What is everyone’s favorite perch rod. I’m planning on getting my dad a new one for ice fishing this year. We were originally going to do a sleeper on LOW again, but do to his health issues we moved it to a day house with a cabin on Winnie. So the couple rods he has are more geared for walleye. So what say you IDO friends, what should I get him?

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

Doesn’t matter. I was going to get one from the guy who makes my rods but he’s a one man operation with a day job so getting one done by the 2nd of January may be tough. So I’m open to any and all.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

DH perch pounder, or Thorne brothers perch sweetheart.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

x2 on the Bullwhip,the QT would be a good 2nd choice

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Does he have a good panfishing rod? If not, I’d vote for a TUCR Bullwhip for perch/bluegill/crappie.

If it’s strictly to be used for perch, the TUCR Fusion or Quicktip are great options. My personal vote would be for the Fusion.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

There has also been a lot of positive things said about the st croix custom ice rods on here lately.
    ????

Nodak

I use Haat rods. Fight me.

Thorne quiversticks are fun with perch.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I will echo this again.

We generally think rod for fish species. It’s fine and will probably do. When we should really think rod for lure. As in lure type for techniques and weight range. You may want something lighter or heavier. Maybe a different tip action.

Dan Baker

I use my Bullwhip whenever I’m fishing jigs and my fusion for any small spoons. I just got a quick tip this fall that I’ll be testing winter.

Branden Doyle

I use my perch sweetheart for walleyes and my quiver sticks for pan and perch. The perch sweetheart heart is just a bit to stiff for my liking.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I make a carbon perch rod kind of like the quick tip for $75 cork or EVA handles sold 5″ or Split grip. I think he will love it.

daddy

Panfish Sweetheart from Thorne Bros.

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

the JT shiver stick has been a great perch rod for many

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I use Haat rods. Fight me.

jester

I like my Jason Mitchell combo. It’s just perch devil

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

Dead sticking? Jigging? Tightlining? Sight Fishing?
    How deep of water will you be targeting perch in?
    Do you want feel or see the bite?
    What types and sizes of baits will you be using primarily?
    What kind of reel will you set the rod up with?
    What is your preferred line?
    Do you want a straight cork handle? Split grip? Reel seat?
    What colors?
    Price range?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I will echo this again.
    We generally think rod for fish species. It’s fine and will probably do. When we should really think rod for lure. As in lure type for techniques and weight range. You may want something lighter or heavier. Maybe a different tip action.

Took time for this to really hit home for me but it’s true. Buy the rod to match the lure.

That said I’ll take a shot. To me you’re looking two categories. Carbon feel type rod or a glass noodle. Pick one category, set your price, and then the options will narrow down.

Noodle:
    TUCR Bullwhip – there’s a reason it comes back so many times as a referral
    Jason Mitchell meatstick – Less money and really works.

Carbon:
    TB Perch Sweetheart: My favorite rod but may be a bit stiff for a lot of perch lures.
    TUCR Fusion: I’ve handled it but not fished it. Really interesting
    Panfish rods: Any nice panfish rod would be a good complement since your friend already has walleye gear. Then he could switch rods based on lure weight. DH, TUCR, TB, etc.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I agree with hawkguy I love both my “Bullwhips” I have a 34” and a 28” for in my Otter Cottage. Great perch rods but my first one was a Perch Sweetheart and I still love that rod too. Matter of fact I “Love” all my ice fishing stuff. LOL grin

Gary Law
    Ohio

I love everything about my Jason Mitchell meat stick rods – versatile enough for most applications & the price is right to hand to friends as a loaner. I should be getting a kick-back from Clam for the amount of people I’ve sold on these.

404 ERROR
    MN

I love everything about my Jason Mitchell meat stick rods – versatile enough for most applications & the price is right to hand to friends as a loaner. I should be getting a kick-back from Clam for the amount of people I’ve sold on these.

Do the new ones fix the tip breaking issue? They are well known to break at the transition under little to no load and zero abuse. I have broken one of mine and have seen multiple others broken. I love the one I have that isn’t broken and it works awesome, but the tips are unreasonably fragile.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Typically I use my DH Perch Pounder for spoons/raps and the Bullwhip for tungsten jigs/plastics. This year I added the TUCR Fusion primarily as a perch and light walleye rod

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

A 32″ Tuned Up Custom Fusion is IMO the perfect rod for specifically targeting perch.

Tyler Warner

A 32″ Tuned Up Custom Fusion is IMO the perfect rod for specifically targeting perch.

Will, does the Fusion still have a fast tip or more of a moderate action.

Dan Baker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Will Roseberg wrote:</div>

The Fusion action is similar to the Precision. Both would be considered fast. The Fusion is just not a quick as the extra-fast Quick Tip

Tyler Warner

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tyler Warner wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Will Roseberg wrote:</div>

The Fusion action is similar to the Precision. Both would be considered fast. The Fusion is just not a quick as the extra-fast Quick Tip

Dan I have only used the Bullwhip. I’ve been looking myself for something a bit longer and more sensitive feel. Would be fishing the small rippin raps while searching for schools of jumbos. Being 6’4 I get tired of kneeling down with my 32″ Bullwhip lol

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.