Favorite dead stick jig

• Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

For my dead stick I always used a plain hook and split shoot weight about 3” up. But after watching some videos last night I am thinking there might be some better options. In what situations do you use different setups on your dead stick?

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

That is what I use also. I used to not dead stick too often, but started dropping one down last year when I’d be zeroed in on spots after some hole hopping. Whether crappie fishing or walleye fishing, I used about the same set up and it worked pretty good for me.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

I also use just a plain red hook with split shots. Have never had luck with any jigs of any type.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Depends on the bite and how the fish are reacting. If fish are slow I use very small treble and split shot (try to keep it looking as natural as possible). But if fish are more active I will use a tingler spoon.

buddah6

My old standby is usually a gem-n-eye or the glow venom inferno minnow for night fishing..

GoldWinger

Used to go with red tru turn and split shot but last couple seasons VMC glow resin treble has been good on LOW

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Usually just an 1/8 oz Northland Gumball jig, weight depending on depth and size of minnow. After dark, a glow version sometimes.

Hudson8907
    NULL

My go to is a demon jig. Gold during the day. Glow chartreuse at night. Walleyes size 4, crappies size 8. I find that hooking the minnow parallel with the back bone is essential.

SW Eyes

There are two things I use almost exclusively (for walleye, I use nothing else on my dead stick). Haven’t really found a noticeable difference between the two in terms of success. Both seem to work well:

1) Northland makes a single hook forage minnow jig. Pink glow is the color I typically use, but that can be dependent on the body of water.

2). A pink (again, on home water, but color varies depending on location/water clarity) Gamakatsu octopus hook topped with a few pink and/or chartreuse beads to add a little more color, weight, and a little noise/vibration (if the minnow is lively, or I typically give the dead stick a little rip every now and then).

I like to have as little weight separated a distance from the hook as possible and both options can provide that, although occasionally a split shot is necessary. Avoids the annoying tangles that can happen, less crap hanging down there for finicky fish to spook on, can use a lighter bobber to help with bites. I’ve found I notice the crappie “lift” bites sooner from time to time (but maybe confirmation bias).

Works for anything from panfish to pike, just need to vary the size. As it gets later in the season and the fishing slows down, I downsize for crappies and walleyes and it seems to keep them somewhat interested.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

#1 hook and splitshot
    #2 Demon
    #3 something else. If the first two aren’t working than it’s hail mary time. nothing else will be either

Jason Guthmiller

I start with a plain hook and a weight 6″ above. If the fish are really turned off I go to a chartreuse cj&s striper special with a small minnow. Change up the colors for the to see what they want or start with a color that works well on the lake I’m on.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Plain hook with a split shot a bit above it is the best I’ve found. Play around with paint colors as well. In my local spots pink or neon orange seems to work really well.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I’m a Demon lover as well with the dead stick/rattle reel. Anything that glows but preferably orange or red.

walleyefanticsd
    Parker SD

1) Demon
    2) Plain hook/split shot
    3) Gem-n-eye

Last year got on a perch bite in shallow lake where they would only take dead stick. Demon was the best by far.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Forage minnow jig worked great on Mille Lacs last year

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I also use just a plain red hook with split shots. Have never had luck with any jigs of any type.

X2

Dan Baker

I usually start with a #6 Blue Glow Lindy Frosty Jig.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I have some demon jigs, but to be honest, I have never used them. What do you guys tip them with for walleye or crappie? Minnows hooked through lips or back? Waxies or something for panfish?

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Shiners or fatheads for walleye. James said on a show last year to hook it so hook comes out parallel to head. Tried it last year and my hook up percentage increased by alot

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I know it’s about jigs, but I’ve dead stick minnow heads on just about a variety of spoons and it’s worked for me.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.