where are the walleyes

• howler136
    red wing area

been on pepein last three trips no eyes just saugers and sheepies, saugers in 15fow tried suspended fish no bite any answers?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Last Friday I caught a half dozen walleyes with 3 being nice eating size. I was trolling in 20 feet of water and the baits that caught the walleyes were about 3 feet off bottom. The deeper baits caught saugers and rough fish. 2.5 mph seemed to be the best speed for the walleyes. Good luck

howler136
    red wing area

I saw all the fish suspended and tried numerous baits and speed but no takers up higher shad raps hotntots and stick baits, I think some wind might of helped

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Their teeth fall out this time of year and grow back in the fall.

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

I dont know if anyone else has noticed but I seem to have much better luck on pepin if its blowing like hell. Windy and rainy the better! Anyone else noticed this? I can pick up a bunch of small fish if its nice but seem to get bigger fish when its crapy. I thought maybe the bigger ones were deeper and slide in shallower with the weather but ive tried fishing deeper just off where we were catching the small ones and nothing.

howler136
    red wing area

I feel I have beat the water to a froth, tried all depths in the water column. when a good nw wind blows it seems all heck breaks loose with the eye’s. I’m still getting a few saugers, but Pepin has been very flat this year, very few fronts moving through. I’m going down again this weekend hopefully the rain will cause some wave action on the lake. I guess I’m spoiled from past years of catching instead of hunting.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.