Wingdam crank casting set-ups

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The wingdam crankbait thread got me curious about what others are using to cast cranks on wingies.

For smaller cranks… shad raps, jointeds, small bombers, etc., I like a 6’9″ ML-XF Avid. I like 6# test fireline / power pro on wingies when the terrain allows it. I know that is some awful light line but with a little care and a LOT of re-tying I actually lose very few lures. I like the flexibility that the thin diameter line gives me to probe deeper parts of the wingdam.

On really snaggy dams I opt for 14# test braid. I give up some dive depth but the strength gets back cranks from the rocks / trees when the lighter line just won’t get the job done.

When I’m casting heavier / deeper diving cranks, like the down deep rattlin’ fat raps, bomber 6 A’s, etc., I like a baitcaster on an older st. croix fiberglass rod I’ve had forever. It isn’t as light as the graphite rods but I like the way the added “give” of the rod allows the fish to inhale the baits on the strike… and if you’ve never seen a #5 down deep let’s just say they’re a mouthful.

Anyone out there still using mono for casting cranks? I used to throw 10# XT years ago and I liked the stretch once the fish was hooked up but the lack of feedback from the lure due to lack of sensitivity made me feel like I was wearing oven mits. Plus I lost a lot more lures on mono than I do with braid.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

James,

I’ve been using a 7 foot Fenwick Eagle GT Medium action baitcaster, 5500C3, and 20# Power Pro. Yes, I am a Bass fisherman This set up will throw smaller cranks if you’re careful and has a lot of authority when you do hook up.

I just don’t like the feel of a spinning rod when I’m throwing cranks. It’s like I’m not getting leverage.

BTW those Fenwick Eagles are IM6 graphite and definitely not the highest quality rods, but they’re very servicable for the price.

Rootski

Hunter88
    Oakdale, MN

James,

I use 6′-6″ Avids, Medium Power, Fast action for everything from DT-16’s to #7 shad raps. This setup has worked well for me. I really haven’t had any trouble losing fish after they’re hooked up, as long as the drag is set correctly and I don’t horse the fish. I did lose one horse last year right by the boat, but I think that had more to do with the fish being on the surface and being too slow with the net, than with the fireline.

I started off using 6 lb fireline, but some of the dams we fish in Pools 2 and 3 are like blackholes to cranks some days, so I switched to 8 lb fireline last year. I’ve also tried casting with 14 lb fireline, but don’t really like it all that much. It doesn’t cast as well as the smaller line in heavy winds. I may switch back to 6 lb again this year. I’m not sure the 8lb is saving me any cranks. It seems if I get them stuck enough that I can’t snap them out, or let them float out, I don’t get them back anyways. I will rarely pull up anchor and go after a crank unless we’re about ready to move. I’ll just break it off and grab my backup pole and continue fishing.

I rarely use mono for anything anymore for the same reasons you stated. I love fishing fireline whenever I can.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

James,

You’re very conversational today! I use the same AS69MLXF that you talked about and I keep the same 8# fireline on it that I use for jigs in the winter. I have two of those identical setups and they work really well for me. I lose an occasional bait, but not many. That said, I’ve avoided some of the snaggier dams and picked up some 15# braid to try on those this year. I also got a 7′ medium avid to try with the heavier braid this year. I thought about a medium-light and have second-guessed myself the whole way. I’m hoping it will be a fairly versatile rod that I can use for throwing cranks with the 15# braid, dragging jigs, and occasionally rigging and slip bobbering. I end up loaning rods out in my boat like crazy so versatile is good. We’ll see!

Hey, do you have any suggestions for a good “summer” use (besides dragging jigs/bait) for the AS68MXF’s that sit in my garage during warm water? I’d vertical jig with them, but I kind of like the fireline on the AS69MLXF’s for that…

How about a durable cranking reel? I’m thinking Sahara or Symetre, but something makes me feel like spending $80 on a spinning reel to throw crankbaits is a bad idea. Maybe I’m crazy?

John

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

It seems if I get them stuck enough that I can’t snap them out, or let them float out, I don’t get them back anyways.

I would definitely agree with this statement! There’s nothing worse than feeling a $6 crank wedge its way into a snag… you definitely know it when you feel it and when you do, you know that crank is a goner no matter how heavy the line you’re using at the time.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James,

You’re very conversational today!

I guess I am. I had a LONG stretch of time in front of photoshop today and I needed a break. I’ve got my mind set on multiple days of pounding wingies next week so I’m thinking ahead to casting cranks and working willowcats.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Hey, do you have any suggestions for a good “summer” use (besides dragging jigs/bait) for the AS68MXF’s that sit in my garage during warm water?

Well yes, I do. >>>>> bass! Those 6’8″ Avids are awesome smallie rods when fishing tubes and other plastics. For walleyes about the only time I use them in the summer is for dragging jigs (as you stated) with mono. Those 6’8″ rods are fantastic mono rods but much too stiff and powerful for braid in my opinion.

If you ever head to mille lacs for smallies, make that 6’8″ one of your first choices. 8# – 10# mono is just about perfect.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Smallies … not a bad thought! I completely agree with you on using braid with those 68’s. I usually make a spring smallie trip or two to Ontario shortly after Memorial Day weekend. I’ll give the 68’s a try with the DeeZee River Bug jigs that they like so much up there.

Hunter88
    Oakdale, MN

Quote:

I would definitely agree with this statement! There’s nothing worse than feeling a $6 crank wedge its way into a snag… you definitely know it when you feel it and when you do, you know that crank is a goner no matter how heavy the line you’re using at the time.

Gotta love it when Gander Mountain builds new stores. I loaded up on dozens of cranks for casting to wing dams at several of the old stores at 40-50% off. Only problem is I’m going to need several more stores to close at the rate I’m losing cranks this year. Oh well, it’s only money.

Why do you gentlemen prefer to use extra fast over a fast action tip for casting cranks?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

This is a good question…

I don’t necessarily like the X-Fast over a fast… it depends on the size of the crank thrown and the power of the rod.

If I was going to fish a medium power avid I would choose a fast over extra fast any day.

I really like that 6’9″ MLXF for throwing small cranks. It isn’t a buggy whip by any means but it sure doesn’t have the “power” a medium does that would make it feel “clubby” for throwing small cranks.

Another factor is trying to keep all rods in the boat “multi-purpose” rods that allow me to keep the overall number of rods in the boat down to a minimum. If I was to put 4 – dedicated “mod. fast” crank casting spinning rods in the boat I really wouldn’t have any other use for them. And when you’re guiding and everything needs to be provided in “fours” the rods in the boat can pile up in a hurry. Even that new V210 can’t house them all if a guy gets carried away.

That 6′ 9″ also does a great job fishing plastics, jigs and bait or even dragging jigs in a pinch if I switch out the line to mono. Versatility like that makes me a happy guy.

For big cranks… give me a mod. fast bait caster any day.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

James, How big of cranks can you get by with on that 6’9″. I’m looking to get a rod that good for plastic and casting cranks. The hardest pulling crank I throw is probably the bomber 6A. I have a the 6’8″ which I love for plastic, but it seems to be a little to stiff for cranks. Any other spinning rods be good for pulling cranks and casting plastics.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

The set up that works for me is a St Croix Avid 6’6″ medium fast action spinning rod spooled with 10lb test/4lb diameter fireline. Might give power pro a chance this year. This is a very versatile rod, like James said when you need to have equipment on board to serve 3-4 others I use rods that can serve as multi purpose. The 6’6″ medium fast Avid does just that. I can throw hard lines with it and mono works great as well. I can cast jigs like a dream, vertical jig and drag jigs with this rod model.

Best cranks for me in low flow are the bombers, they don’t seem to run as well in real heavy flow. Fat raps, jointed Raps and #5 and #7 RS shad raps all get my vote.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.