Rapalas….

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

So, I have tried in years past to keep things organized…but I haven’t much luck. For those of you that have hundreds of raps… HOW do you keep them organized…how do you know that this rap is shallow… this one is deep… this one is 5-10 feet… this is 11-15 feet… etc. I know the larger the bill, the deeper it should go. But with the variances in models nowadays (new minnnow rap, xrap from last year, etc)… how do you know what you are pulling out when you open up your tackle box???

I have a tendancy of, when buying new raps, cutting the box and putting that with the rap. But now that my box is overfilling and I am having to put multiple raps in each divided section… curious to know what you all do?

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

I know howiam gonna from now on , only buy #5 and #7 they catch most of the fish for me anyway and there easy to remember.

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

iiiiiggghhhh!

I believe Rapala used to mark all of their diving bills with what they were, i don’t think they do very many anymore. I always end up holding them against their picture in my trolling guide book to see what one i got I wonder if maybe a fine point magic marker somewhere on them would hold up much at all or not. I guess i really have no answers for u

shaley
    Milford IA

Sometimes you just know, when theres a question match it with the trolling books. I sort mine by size and style in my B&B box easier to find what you need when you need it.

jesse
    mn

When I buy them I inscribe on the lip of the crank what it is. Takes just a few seconds to do with a scribe tool!

1976duck

i use a plano plastic clear box, copy the page from precision trolling that corresponds with the cranks in that box,laminate it ,glue it to the box, it seems to work nicely.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good post Dave!

I stocked the hooks a Everts (once ). I had a heck of a time matching those up and they were in a box. I can’t imagine taking them out of a box and using a tackle box.

Sometimes I take great pleasure in knowing that a summers supply of catfishing lures is comprised of 60 packs of 10/0 Gamakatsu hooks.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I like ducks idea about taping the box label to the plastic tackle box covers. When i started I organize them by how deep they dived. Now as there gets to be more and more they not only get broken down into how they preform but some times manufactor or other factors also. It always seems to change every spring.

The plastic trays are what I use. Frabil, plano and others make them. I like them for being able to grab just a couple of boxes if Im jumping in with some else. Think i picked up six more this spring just to keep up with inventory.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

My raps are thrown in the standard tackle box inserts. I only run so many types of cranks, but I have a few oddballs that are always along.

As for remembering the depths they run, etc… after running them for so any hours, eventually its carved into your memory what each lure is going to do under the circumstances.. lakes, current, upriver/downstream, trolling speed… there are just too many things a book wont tell you, and I am not one to check a reference guide because subtle changes will often catch all of the fish.

So.. I guess I just sort my lures by size, the hardest is keeping the #8 and #9 shad raps from mixing.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Personally, I like to have as much a variety as possible since you never know what exactly is going to work each half hour of fishing. I have about 20 or more cranks of different shapes and sizes… glass shad raps, minnow raps, xraps, etc. A case for cranks would not be suitable for me as the large tackle case I have already weighs about 50 lbs… don’t think it is wise to carry another case with besides. I will just try and fit it all in one along with my 30+ packages of BFishN Plastcs and plano boxes full of jigs. Might have to pick up a trolling book as you suggest above though. I also like the idea of etching info into the lip… not a bad idea.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Todd, is there a local reseller of these boxes in the metro area. I would like to see one personally.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

buy a trollmaster book, scan the pages,print, laminate and place in a reg plano (or whatever brand) compartment box with according lures.
    then with a sharpie lable your box on which ever side is out.

not only do you know what is what but now you have your dive curves available with out paging through a book

jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

Here is what I use, it keeps everything organized and in good shape Crank Box

ToddJ

Kooty I just got mine from my buddy who just got back from Lake Erie. He picked me up one as I have been trying to locate the right tackle box to help organize. If you are around Hunter’s this weekend, I will have the tackle box in my boat, I will share. Look for a guy driving a 2025 black and red 200 Mercury. Stop and say hi. You will be impressed.

ToddJ

Yea that is the same box that I have, it is awesome, no more hook messes to deal with, and I also can store up to 122 cranks.

jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

Kooty, you need a new tackle box just as bad as I do. although it will help keep the hooks from rusting when your in the bar.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

This Hunters place you speak of. What is it and where can I find it? Bongers – NO SHOTS!!!!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.