Landing nets?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

You guys have any good recommendations for landing nets? Will be netting mostly walleyes with it. Thinking I want something with a flat top. Extendable handle and a bag that work get my hooks fouled in it. What have you guys been using and where to get them. Gander didnt seem to have what I wanted.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I’d have to say the Beckman nets are the best built nets I’ve ever seen. Their walleye net has a huge net that walleyes aren’t going to get out of. I have that net plus another net [an average net thats lighter in weight as the Beckmans are heavy so used for tournaments] that I use too but can’t remember the brand name of that one. But Beckman makes the best in my opinion.
    Thanks, Bill

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

The Red Fish series (Beckman) is my favorite for Walleye, Sauger, Bass…Nice width and a flat bottom that is easy for retrieval and release. I think mine was $49 at Sportsmans Wharehouse this winter.

lax79
    La Crosse, WI

I would recommend the new yo-net. It is revolutionary and works great. Any questions send me an email. I can get them for you through the inventor. Check out their web site http://www.amfyoyo.com

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I have been using frabil power lock nets for years and they have stood up to the job well. Many flatheads have made it into my walleye net over time along with thousands of just about anything else. 10 years and the coating is wearing down a bit, not one broken strand on the net.. I cant complain.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

If you are looking for a collapsible net that is compact and convenient, take a serious look at the YoNet series. They can be found at YoNets The medium net is ideal for bass and walleye. The basket is good sized, but the great thing about the net is the way they fold up so they are out of the way when needed. When it is time to net a fish, grab the net and unfold it is seconds and you can net the fish with one hand while still maintaining control of the rod.

Logan
    Big Lake, MN

I really like the Beckman that I bought from Dave Koonce last year.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Stowmaster, spendy but worth every penny in my mind.
    It packs up and fits in my livewell when I am not using it.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Slider, your suppose to just “LIP” those fish, not use a net.

Secondly, why do you have a livewell???? You don’t eat those stinky Brown and Green Carp do you??????

To answer your ? Mike. I bought an awesome Beckman a few years ago and it has not seen the water yet. I’m going on my 10th year of my Frabill. I like my Frabill better especially whenI’m fishing alone, because of it’s light weight and ease of handling compared to the heavy & bulk of the Beckman. Stop over and I can show you both and we can have a cold one while we do some plumbing.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Frabil Tru Track for me also. I agree with Rob, the Beckmens are too heavy.

-J.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I love my new Beckman we bought this year. It’s the extendable version and should last for many years.

showags
    Hastings, MN

Also in the market for a new net. How do either brand hold up against hooks? Do they fray at all?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I bout a Stowmaster a few years back…I have nothing but good things to say about this net…hooks have not been a problem at all

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have a Beckman from 1998 and it seems as new as the day I bought it.

Heavy?

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

I bought a new Frabil last year & so far I couldn’t be happier with that net.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

Heavy?

There is probably a reason for that too ha jk

amfyoyo1
    Iowa

You asked for a recommendation. YoNet I got tired of tripping over my old standard net or not having the handle extended when I really need it. I frequently fish alone, so I have one in the front and one in the back. All I have to do is bend down and pick it up with one hand and in 5 seconds I’m landing my catch.

Here’s a pic of Nitro-Rob using the small YoNet on his bass.

The handle and the hoop fold for easy storage. The patented design takes the pressure off your wrist and give great control.

And one of the large and medium … ignore the model.

amfyoyo1
    Iowa

Quote:

The Red Fish series (Beckman) is my favorite for Walleye, Sauger, Bass…Nice width and a flat bottom that is easy for retrieval and release.

Question on the basket, Is it rubber coated and do they sell replacement baskets?
    I could easily put that basket on my YoNet in 6 minutes.

tom_gursky

Quote:

Heavy?

Hmmmm I’m with you Mike…I an old(61 yrs) guy. The Beckman is easy for me to one hand. I think the new models may be lighter…maybe I’m getting stronger? ………..

tom_gursky

Quote:

Quote:

The Red Fish series (Beckman) is my favorite for Walleye, Sauger, Bass…Nice width and a flat bottom that is easy for retrieval and release.

Question on the basket, Is it rubber coated and do they sell replacement baskets?
    I could easily put that basket on my YoNet in 6 minutes.

The answers are yes!
    Put a good workout on it both spring trips to P-4 recently! Not even the 1/4 ox Blades could get stuck in the coated netting.

amfyoyo1
    Iowa

Looked at the replacement nets by Beckman… ….some cost more than my YoNet retails for.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I bought a Beckman in 1999 for $110. It looks and works like it did the day I bought it. I guess that breaks down to $13.75 a year so far, pretty good investment in my book. I am not sponsored by Beckman, just have nothing bad to say about the product. I do put a few hours on the water each year

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I do put a few hours on the water each year

I think that point is well know Mr Steil. The question at hand is…Do you use your net at all?? I heard that you do not catch many fish and the ones you do………….. are not net worthy anyways.

No wonder your Beckamn still looks and operates like it is brand new.

amfyoyo1
    Iowa

Quote:

I bought a Beckman in 1999 for $110. It looks and works like it did the day I bought it. I guess that breaks down to $13.75 a year so far, pretty good investment in my book. I am not sponsored by Beckman, just have nothing bad to say about the product. I do put a few hours on the water each year

I have nothing bad to say about them either… just questioning the cost to replace your netting….I’m also just saying an innovation can improve. If things haven’t changed in 8 years….you’re going to get stuck in the past.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.