Suggestions for lakes/resorts Northern MN late Jun

• phoyem
    Minneapolis

Hey! I’m currently planning a trip to Northern MN the last weekend in June for a fishing trip with my dad, brother, and uncles. The Jan freeze is already making me thing summer plans!

Just curious what lake / resort would be best for numbers (not necessarily size) of walleye. I’m taking my own boat and fine with any type of tactics. My original thoughts for lakes are red, LOTW, or rainy but wondering what resorts too. Or if there are better choices out there.

Pete Hoyem

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Shhhh Red Lake in June is Killer trolling raps in 8fow. WestWinds resort is where I stay.

Mojo1269

LOTW and Red are both great Options. Both are pretty brutal if the wind gets to blowing. Alot of it comes down to what type/size of boat you have. On the Canada LOTW side there are plenty of islands and what not you can hide around. Kabetogema, Vermillion and Rainy are all solid options with some structure to hide around if the wind comes up. IF you get a chance go to one of the many upcomign Sport Shows to talk to resort owners too. Lots of great options on all I have mentioned with the excpetion of Red… Only a couple of places onthe lake to stay..

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Thanks for the posts so far. I have a 18” lund 90hp tiller which can do OK, but still wouldn’t want to be caught out in the middle of LOTW on a windy day!

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Red IS great for numbers. Leech is also great then for eaters with lots of 22″-27″‘s mixed in too. There is great lodging here too.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

If you enjoy fishing structure give Trevor a holler. Not sure he’ll have a June cabin open but worth a shot. Ottertail is full of our scaly friends and can be fished on most days for your sized boat. Vacationland has everything you need so fishing can consume as much time as you desire. Good luck

http://www.vacationlandresort.net

fireline
    Rochester

Quote:

If you enjoy fishing structure give Trevor a holler. Not sure he’ll have a June cabin open but worth a shot. Ottertail is full of our scaly friends and can be fished on most days for your sized boat. Vacationland has everything you need so fishing can consume as much time as you desire. Good luck

http://www.vacationlandresort.net

X2

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Red is a bowl that will produce fish but in my opinion lacks the scenery of LOTW, Rainy, Kab. ect. As mentioned you need to contend and plan for the wind on Red & LOTW more then Rainy or Kab. If you stay on the East end of Rainy or the Ash River area of Kab. you will have plenty of islands to hide around should you get a wind day or two.

Both Kab. & Rainy will offer places to eat and get a beer if that’s your thing. Shoot me a PM if you want lodging info for the Ash River.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Ely has great fishing in June, there are dozens upon dozens of lakes to choose from within a short drive from town. One of the favorites is the Farm Lake/White Iron Lake/Garden Lake chain, you can always find a way out of the wind and going after numbers can still put you in with 30″+ eyes, 48″+ Pike and 20″+ smallies. Check out Timber Trail Lodge at http://www.timbertrail.com … Beautiful cabins, affordable rates, your own dock, and tips/maps/whatever you need to get on the fish.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.