musky reel advice

• John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Hello musky guys,
    I want to ease into more Musky fishing this year, though I have caught many Musky up to 36″ on my heavy bass gear already. I am building a bucktail rod using a St Croix 2M86MHF blank and am looking at what reel to get for small to medium bucktails. I can spend $200 to $250. I like the spinners that combine hair and tinsel like the Bucher Tin-Buck, Shumway Screamer and Flasher, or Musky Mayhem Electric Bunny but will use smaller spinners also. I don’t intend to throw big stuff like double-10 cowgirls with this setup.

What’s the pros and cons of round-style versus low profile? I’m used to low profile on bass rods but am open to learning something new.
    How many “inch per turn” should I look for for these type spinners? In know a Revo Winch isn’t appropriate.
    What line capacity should I look for if I use 65lb braid, assuming that’s reasonable??
    I have looked at Calcutta 400B, Lexa 300 and 400, and Revo STX, though I’m open to suggestions from those who know from experience. I understand the reel needs to have gears that can handle the work. I do like a thumb bar.

Thanks in advance for the input.

John S.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

In that range I would look to the Lexa 300. A used Revo Nacl HS or Curado 300ej would be two other good options. 30″+ of line pick-up is what I would look for with those lures. I like to palm the reel with bucktails so I lean toward the low-pro reels. For larger baits, you might be more inclined to grab the foregrip and it wouldn’t matter as much.

JimmyClark
    Eagle Point Wi. USA

For starting out, I would check out the abu garcia line with the 5600 thumb bar or 6500. (I have a 4600 thumb bar that is used exclusively for bucktails) I use 50-80# power pro lines depending on which type of bait is being thrown. They aren’t the most expensive reel out there, but in my case, they have been very dependable.

They’ll handle both the baits your considering, and any musky in the waters that are right close to where you (we) live. I’ve run the Chippewa system for years and have never had an issue with my reels handling any of the musky I’ve tangled with. And, they have stood the test of time (with reasonable maintenance) My philosophy is to hold the cost down by not buying the most expensive reel, and spend the savings on other baits/equipment needs.

Horsch32
    Avon, MN

I have a normal revo toro hs and love it. If you are right hand reeling they have occasionally come on sale 150. But right now I would also suggest the 300ej curado. I have used it and it is a very smooth reel and would work well for the baits you are planning on using. If you decide you want a slower gear ratio the Calcutta 400d is a top choice.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

The Shimano Curado 300ej is a great little reel

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I may be able to get a discontinued Revo Toro 50HS or 60HS at a reasonable cost. Which size would work well with 65lb braid?? I’m taking a close look at the curado 300ej.

John S.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

The Revo Toro 50HS is plenty big for most applications even with 80# braid. If you plan on trolling with it or using 100# you might consider the 60.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.