The end of 2011- Hooks met flesh…mine that is

• Bob Bowman
    MN

I ended the 2011 season with my old man in the boat with me. We were dragging suckers around for my old man and I was casting. After seeing a few really big fish on the same elongated point we opted to let them sit for a little while and hit some other deep points. We pulled in on one that was holding fish the day prior and it only took a few casts for me to hook up. Dad did a great job with the net, I did a not so good job with the hook out. I managed to get the hooks bone deep into my knuckle, talk about pain. As my old man was trying to locate his glasses, so he could see, I made the decision….I didn’t have time for Dad to get his eyes on and then get the hook cutters. I got lucky and managed to back the hooks out the same way they went in, with little meat attached at the barb. This is the first time I have been stuck that deep, keeping a first aid kit in the boat is a MUST. A few cold beers help with pain too

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

SISSY

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

There are 2 type of fishermen. Those who have been hooked and those who will. If you fish long enough it’s just a matter of time. I’ve been hooked twice now – Both times by someone else. Believe me the 2nd time hurts worse than the 1st ( Now you know how much it’s going to hurt )

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Ouch. Been there and it hurts like a bear. Good to know you made the “man’s” choice and tore it out.

Nice fish though, and spending time with your Dad in the boat had to be nice

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m thinking it would have been a nice touch to have the hook dangling in your hand while holding the fish.

Next time.

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Many years ago learned the hard lesson about hooks and trying to flycast a popper into the wind for bluegills. Mine lodged in the ligament at bridge of my nose. Local clinic,much to my dismay, opted to cut out the hook rather than snip the barb off. Since then, most of my medicine has been strictly on board DIY. No I did NOT donate the lure to
    the doctor’s Fishing Wall of Shame…but I remember we made a healthy contribution to his kids college savings account.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Done It many of times. The worst was when I caught a big smallmouth got em in. Then figured out I have no pliers.
    Whatever I’ll get it out that dam bass jumped out my and into the air then cam back down hooking me with all 3 trebles off my original floater while 2 were still hooked to the thrashing fish. Luckily I wasn’t fishing alone and called my buddy over to pin the fish down while I attempt to rip em out. Just looked away stopped breathing and ripped it out! One was all the way through my thumb and thumbnail that one hurt the most comin out.
    God I love fishing haha!

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Nice fish Bob. I might have a couple pain killers left over for your hand.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

After having musky lures imbedded in people in my boat twice back in the 80’s I went to bending the barbs down, not sure how you’d do that with live bait though.

Good to hear ya got it out, both times for us ended up in a doctors office.

Al

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

There are 2 type of fishermen. Those who have been hooked and those who will. If you fish long enough it’s just a matter of time. I’ve been hooked twice now – Both times by someone else. Believe me the 2nd time hurts worse than the 1st ( Now you know how much it’s going to hurt )

My first time happened on my 1st wedding anniversary with my wife in the boat. (My first time getting hooked, you jackals). Unlike a card or some stupid trinket, that’s an anniversary gift she’ll always remember. Luckily I had the hook cutters.

A 7/0 all the way through the toe is a good reminder to wear shoes in the boat.

dan03rev
    ALGONA, IOWA

same thing happened to me trolling last year . netted the fish . went to remove lure and she rolled . tail treble hook got me on top of right hand right below index finger knuckle . wow did that tickle !! . grabbed my cutters quick to cut the ring . had to poke the hook back up thru the skin to cut behind the barb . sat back and passed out for what i figured was a good 15 minutes maybe longer . drifted atleast 1/2 mile off where i caught the fish . what an adrenaline rush that was . rather not happen again anytime soon tho

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.