Carlisles trailer tires

• olisflyrod
    Lakeville MN

I had a Carlisle trailer tire come apart Sat. So I need 2 new tires. I am looking for advice from IDO’S who have trailer tires they like and have had good luck with. Thanks for your help. OLY

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

I put 4 new Goodyear tires on my RV that replaced the Carlisle ones. No comparison between these tires. I had 2 new Carlise have tread seperations early on with low mileage and my dealer replaced them with 2 new ones. Not long after another started doing the same thing. I got all replaced with Goodyears and after 4000 miles so far the Goodyears are great.

jerry b
    western WI

I agonized over that same question a couple years back. My Chinese cheapies started doing wierd things with the cord and I had to decide which way to go. After researching everything I could find re: Carlisle vs Goodyear, I went with the Marathons and haven’t looked back. Remember tho the biggest killers of any tire are heat, load, and inflation. Any tire will fail if you don’t take care of it jerr

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Most everyone who towes on a regular bsis (once a week in the warm months) with Carlisles have had the seperation problem at one time or another. Fender/tralier damage always seems to occur when the seperation happens.

Dump those chitty tires as soon as possible and get into a set of Goodyear Marathons.

Use the search feature for Carlisle and you will find out what tire others are changing to.

Also, the boat dealers will always tell you that they never have problems with the Carlisle tires

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

More often than not its operator error that causes issues with tires (not saying you did anything wrong…). Follow the rules for that particular brand and most times you will get more miles than you need. Take it from a guy that put Goodyears on his dads trailer and 2 years later he calls me screaming about what they look like. To many overloaded trailers full of firewood! Operator error I told him! RR

jigmup
    Chisago county

Agreed!!!!! Dump those chitty tires as soon as possible and get into a set of Goodyear Marathons.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

After rigging boats for 8 years, I have seen plenty of issues with Carlisle tires. No tire is indestructible, but as far as trailer tires for boats go, you can not beat a set of Goodyear Marathons. Proper tire inflation along with good trailer setup goes along ways. Read the instructions on how much tongue weight should be on the hitch. Try to be close to the specs given. This will allow your trailer to trail correctly behind the truck. Sometimes you might have to move the axel to disperse the load correctly. If you notice the trailer weaving back in forth or the back end of the vehicle weighted down heavily I would strongly suggest moving the axel. Some places offer a trailer alignment, which also does wonders for tire wear and getting a little better gas milage. I hope this helps you out.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Thanks all,
    I was just looking at mine yesterday and thinking about new ones as the tread wear looked odd and I’ve been a stickler for checking pressure.

Sounds like the consensus is GoodYear.

MIKGILLIE
    Owatonna,MN.

Anything but carlisle tires I had 2 seperate,I believe they are made by BP

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

Goodyears are not perfect either!!!! Both of my 4 year old marathons seperated last year with no warning!!!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Sounds like the consensus is GoodYear.

Ditto the Marathon’s……

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I had problems with my last set of Goodyears so I went to Tow Max so far no problems but only second year.

olisflyrod
    Lakeville MN

Thanks for all your help I am going to look at Tow Max this week. I’ll let you know what I find!

olisflyrod
    Lakeville MN

Just a note to say thanks for the tire input. Bought Tow Max at Pump’s tire in Savage.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.