aqua vu cable

• trouter18

Can anyone give me some advice on how to best re-attach the wires for my aqua vu cable to the connector. I have the wiring diagram, and know that I need to soder them, but this is now the second time this has happened to me. The last time I fixed it was about 3 years ago, so I would like to do a better job so it doesn’t happen again. Wire length or any soder tips would be appreciated. Also, is their a cheaper alternative to buying the replacement connector (or a better connector). I have had a very difficult time clearing out all of the soder from the last install to re-use the connector, but I don’t really want to spend $15 plus 10 more in shipping for another connector. Maybe there is a trick to getting the soder out? Thanks in advance for any tips (please – no need to tell me what brand I should have bought or should now buy instead )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Poor mans solder remover.

Turkey baster if it’s not too large or the parts too small.

Radio Shack sells them for about $5.

Or if you have goggles, all bear skin covered and are outside, (I hate to say this) heat up the solder and use compressed air to blow the solder out.

Sounds like you need some type of strain relief to keep it from breaking again?

toothycritters

If the solder is good it shouldn’t break. Possibly the wire broke behing the solder? I would put shrink tubing on, slide it up the wire, solder, reposition shrink tubing, heat it up…. hope this is of help…

trouter18

Shrink tubing is a good idea. The soder didn’t break, but the wire behind it did. It is very small wire, do they make shrink tubing small enough (there are four wires encased inside the cable (about 1 cm diameter cable).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.