Minn Kota Vector problem

• fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

tried out my to 80 1b. 3x vector tonite, and it had no power at all. It seemed like the prop just wasn’t spinning fast enough, especialy compared to my bow mount. When the handle was twisted to about number 3, the prop just barely turned. Wide open it wouldn’t even push me 1.5 mph, and my 701b. power drive can do double that almost. My question is could this be a wiring issue, or is there a motor problem? Also the battery gauge is not functional, but i know the batteries were fully charged by my other gauges and the fact i had to use the bow mount all night. Thought i’d check here before going to Minn Kota.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Is the boat wired for 12 or 24 volt? If you have a 24 volt motor and your only suppling 12 volts to it…it will run slowwwwwwww!!!

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

It should be wired for 24 volts. I’ve never used my back trolling motor outlet before though. In the battery compartment, the leads going to the back appear to be 24. I’m going to take the motor off and plug it into the bow outlet, which i know works, and see what she does, that should give me an answer i guess, then i can go from there.
    I always thought a 24v motor wouldn’t run at all off 12v?Thanks for the reply, i will post back what i find.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Are you running a 3 wire or 4 wire sytem?

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

yep, thats the problem . Runs like a gem off the front plug. The back plug appears to be wired for 24v also, looks like i got a bad connection somewhere in the line. Time to do some fixing. Thanks all. Three wires to the bow outlet, three wires to the stern outlet.

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

Problem Solved. Back plug was wired for 12volt, but the extra leads for 12 or 36 had me confused .
    All good now, time to hit the river .

Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.