Yamaha engine oil level

• fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

I know the oil level is not overfilled, but every time i check it, it shows over. I check it with the engine level and wait about 10 minutes for the oil to drain down. Am i missing something here? I know its not overfull because i just changed it not too long ago and put the proper amount in. And, no, there is not water in the oil. Its a F90, and when i drained the oil i got back the exact same 4.5 quarts i put into it. So im guessing theres nothing to worry about, it just kind of bugs me.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Ive heard of others saying the same thing.Unfortunatly I dont have an answer but I just got a 4 stroke and I am going to ask the dealer about it.

birddog
    Mn.

My F150 is the same way, as was my Johnsuki 140, Impala and pickup are the same also. If I fill those engines according to the engine specifications, every one will be a little over full on the dipstick. I’ve just learned to put a little less in and keeping the level right at full according to the dipstick not “engine capacities/specifications”.

BIRDDOG

jim-bailey
    Clinton County Iowa

My F150 needs to have the oil level checked on the first pull of the dipstick. If you pull it and wipe it off and put it back in to read it it will show overfull the amount of the oil filter capacity. The oil filter drains into the crankcase as soon as you relieve the crankcase pressure. No check valve in the filter works upside down. Just what I have found. Try it.
    Jim

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

thanks for the replies, i guess i just won’t worry to much about it. I kind of figured it had something to do with the filter oil draining back?

luer
    Colfax,Wi

When did you remove the old filter,before or after reinstalling the drain plug?

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

Quote:

When did you remove the old filter,before or after reinstalling the drain plug?

Say what? You always have to have the drain plug out when u remove a side filter.

I meant if u don’t check the oil level before the oil from the filter drains back down that it will always show over full.

Quote:

My F150 needs to have the oil level checked on the first pull of the dipstick. If you pull it and wipe it off and put it back in to read it it will show overfull the amount of the oil filter capacity. The oil filter drains into the crankcase as soon as you relieve the crankcase pressure. No check valve in the filter works upside down. Just what I have found. Try it.

Like what he said

luer
    Colfax,Wi

“Say what? You always have to have the drain plug out when u remove a side filter. “
    /////////////////////////

We’ll agree that you are supposed to.

SLOTLIMIT

All four stoke engines will gain oil the longer you run them between oil changes. Merc is easy to drain a little oil out of, but Yammie’s are a little more difficult.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.