Outboard Motor Breakin

• DonJ
    LeMars,IA

Can someone give me a brief explanation of the breakin process required for new 2-stroke outboard motors?
    Purchased my first NEW boat and am picking it up in the next week. I’m sure each manufacturer has a specific process, just looking for an overview so I can know what to expect.
    The motor is a 2005 Mercury 115 hp two stroke.
    Thanks in advance !

gary_wellman
    South Metro

you will get specific instructions that come with the motor as for proper “break in” procedure.

Follow that to the letter and you will be fine………Don’t take “2nd hand info” on what to do.

Do what the manufacture tells you what to do.

DonJ
    LeMars,IA

Quote:

you will get specific instructions that come with the motor as for proper “break in” procedure.

Follow that to the letter and you will be fine………Don’t take “2nd hand info” on what to do.

Do what the manufacture tells you what to do.

Oh, I definately plan on it.
    This is also my first motor over 60hp.
    Just looking at what kind of time frame is involved.
    Anxious to go fishing, but motor breakin has to take priority.

Thanks,
    Don

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

broke in new 2-stroke last year if i remember right it was about 15-20 hours of breakin time total (so many hours at differant speeds working up to balls to the wall)
    most of all FOLLOW MANUFACTURES GUIDLINES your warrenty depends on it
    good luck and happy boating

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Biggest thing of all. DON’T SPEND ALOT OF TIME HOLDING AT A CERTAIN RPM, ESPECIALLY AT FULL THROTTLE!!! Basically just vary your RPM. I actually didn’t follow this but my engine runs great.

neverhome
    Anoka county

My 2 stroke break in period was 5 hours. I was out today with my new T-8 and that says 10 hours, the good thing is after the first 2 hours it just says dont run at wot for more than 5 min at a time.. It’s a kicker I dont think I will have that problem

bigcrappie
    Blaine

The dealer you bought it from should have or should fill you in on that part, if they do not I might think again about buiying from them.

DonJ
    LeMars,IA

Thanks for the info!
    I’m sure my dealer will fill me in on the breakin.
    I just want to make sure I cover all the bases when I pick up the boat.
    Dealer has been swamped, he’s backlogged about 3 weeks. Boat should be ready next week.
    Anxiously awaiting !

Thanks

nick
    Lakeville, MN

IS it an etec? Etecs clain to have no break in period.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Its probably gonna be painful going through the breakin procedure but do it so you have no regrets. I did mine pre season when I got it. Mrg will have directions. Good luck.
    As far as what to expect. Suzuki had me vary throttle up to certain RPM max for lengths of time. Several stages. No fun after while but I’m sure glad I did it.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

When you do hit the water, bring a watch (Preferably one that is also a stop watch) and a note pad. Record the times exactly as stated in your owners manual and keep the documentation for your records in case you toast a power head later. It will help with your warranty claim. Also, many of todays motors have an on-board computer that will track break in proceedures. The dealer will know right away if you “Drove it like you stole it” first day out and blew it up.

-J.

DonJ
    LeMars,IA

Motor is a 2005 Mercury 115 hp 2 stroke.
    Do not believe it is an optimax, at least it wasn’t identified as such on the side.
    Purchased a used boat from this dealer last Oct. and discovered it had a serious leak problem this spring.
    Had it out about 7 times.
    Dealer was willing to fix it at no cost to me, but that wouldn’t happen until June, maybe, or I could get a full refund to put towards a different used or a new boat.
    Wife said do what ya gotta do.
    I seized the opportunity to go new.
    So it was a quick purchase.
    Thanks for the stop watch idea.
    I plan on following the breakin to the “T”.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.