source for blanks

• John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Hey all, I’ve studied up on rod building and practiced wrapping thread on some of my old busted rods. Now I’m ready to build a new rod and wonder where guys get their blanks. I don’t know of any place around Eau Claire, WI and it seems ordering online is gonna cost at least $20 for shipping.
    FYI, I’m going to make a 5’6″ light, fast action rod for vertical jigging crappies. I expect I’ll get a longer blank and cut it to the specific length I want. I like a fairly stiff tip so I might actually cut the tip short. My favorite rod was a St Croix premier that had 5″ of tip broken and repaired (til a fish pulled it overboard).
    I was looking at the Batson Forecast SJ781 online, but the $20 shipping shocked me.

John

PS. Let me know if there’s a more appropriate forum for rod building questions.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Maybe take a look at Janns Netcraft.

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

jannsnetcraft has a more expensive IM7 blank and charges $17 shipping so it’s no better than the many other rod building sites I checked.
    Maybe I just gotta bite the bullet and pay the shipping. I didn’t expect building my own rod would save me money.

John

jon_wbl

Have you checked Mudhole.com ??

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Cabelas has blanks. Maybe you could order and pick up.

milemark_714

Quote:

Very pleased with the MHX line of blanks.And their shipping costs seem very reasonable.

johnnyb
    Davenport, Ia

Check out ebay you can usually find St Croix blanks available at reasonable prices.

Good luck, once you start building you own rods it becomes an addiction…

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I do supply a few folks with st croix blanks. Just another option for you to consider.

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Yes, I checked before posting my question. I think it’s too much for shipping.
    I just saw getbitoutdoors charges $11 for shipping which is more reasonable so that’s an option.
    I haven’t checked what Thorne Bros charges for shipping but I should because my second rod will be an ice rod using their panfish sweetheart blank.

I see Dean replied that he can sell blanks. I don’t know why I didn’t think of him first. I’ll have to check the cost of a St Croix SCII blank compare to others…

John

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Quote:

I just saw getbitoutdoors charges $11 for shipping which is more reasonable so that’s an option.
    I haven’t checked what Thorne Bros charges for shipping but I should because my second rod will be an ice rod using their panfish sweetheart blank.

I see Dean replied that he can sell blanks. I don’t know why I didn’t think of him first. I’ll have to check the cost of a St Croix SCII blank compare to others…

John

I’m pretty sure Dean offers free shipping on rods with the purchase of a new MX.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Check out ebay you can usually find St Croix blanks available at reasonable prices.

Good luck, once you start building you own rods it becomes an addiction…

Stay away from eBay when buying StCroix blanks,there still some selling the black 2nds as number 1 blanks.

JMHO

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John

I’m pretty sure Dean offers free shipping on rods with the purchase of a new MX.

No mx purchase required!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.