vexilar sonarphone

• 85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Looks pretty neat if it will work as advertised . 2 iPads on RAM mounts

bioguy

That’s what I’m saying! Two ipads, and your phone on your arm! Even if the first iteration is rough, it will only get better moving forward.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Very cool. Way to go on the innovation, Vexilar. Looking forward to seeing how good the technology is.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I wonder what the price point will be. The only thing that stinks about it is I think it won’t be out until 2014.

I like that you won’t have to have everyone in the boat huddled over a depth finder screen.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

OK maybe 4 or 5 iPads

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Now if they can figure out a way to combine the navionics app and the Vexilar app then they’d really have something! Even at just the sonarphone it’s amazing. Well done Vexilar

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

Galaxy s4 does split screen. you can run 2 apps at the same time.

BTW – awesome technogeek stuff

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Shore fisherman’s dream right there. To be able to cast it out seems fantastic.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Shore fisherman’s dream right there. To be able to cast it out seems fantastic.

If that is what shore fisherman want its been available for awhile see here. the cool part of this is the mobile integration and the functionality that appears to be behind the app.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I have seen that for quite a few years now. The new vexilar seems to be a bit more advanced. Honestly I always looked at that wristwatch as some type of bad Nintendo game gone astray. Very cheap and may work for depth but for sonar purposes looks to be a waste of money. You cant even get a somewhat decent depthfinder for you boat for $70, let alone in a small package that includes a wristwatch for your screen.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Lol, agreed.

bioguy

From vexilar: “Current sonar system displays are ten years behind the display technology used every day at home and at work. The type of sonar display you have greatly controls the price you pay”

This sums up everything. You pay a ton of money for a subpar display system and processor made by a sonar company. You could go buy a low end tablet (or two) and a waterproof case and have a much better display and processing power for your sonar than what is offered by the sonar company, for a fraction of the price. I’m not saying this first round by vexilar will be a slam dunk, but this technology should be a major player moving forward. Imagine at the end of the day, grabbing your tablet off the dash, and going home and reviewing all of the data that it has collected and stored (possible because of the large memory capacity). You could simultaneously analyze GPS route data, structure, and presence of fish etc.

My only worry is that companies will not develop it to its potential because it would severely undercut their other products.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Imagine at the end of the day, grabbing your tablet off the dash, and going home and reviewing all of the data that it has collected and stored (possible because of the large memory capacity). You could simultaneously analyze GPS route data, structure, and presence of fish etc.

My only worry is that companies will not develop it to its potential because it would severely undercut their other products.

You and me both. But innovation is required for viability so we have that going for us.

What you mention above is already possible but I had to pay $1700 for a 998 hummingbird that does this, doesn’t have touchscreen functionality and does have a screen roughly the same size as a $500 touchscreen tablet.

The future is bright

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.