Drift Sock Size?

• foxman79
    Anoka, MN

I have a 16′ Aluminum with a 90 horse. The slowest I can troll is 4.0 mph.
    I I would like to get as slow as 1.5.
    Does anyone have any experience with a similar setup? What size sock(s) would I want?
    To save money, would it be possible to hang one sock on one side, or would it be too hard to keep the boat straight?

I would appreciate some guidance!
    Thanks!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That seems to be a pretty good drop in speed to are trying to achieve. If I remember right with one sock I was dropping maybe a half to 3/4 miles per hour. This was a mid sized sock. Hopefully someone else will have better info for you.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

That seems really fast for an idle. If it is a 2 stroke turn the idle screw back. It is running rough? Is that possibly why the idle is turned so high?

If she is running rough it might need a carb job. I personally belive the motor might the place to start, it just seems really fast idle trolling speed to start with.

Thats just me tho. Not trying to say bags wont work ut you might be masking the overlying issue…

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I agree with mark. the idle needs to come down. I”d run a bunch of seafoam thru it first, then try to idle screw it down.

if that doens’t work, then hit the carb with spray cleaner

if that doesn’t work, pull hte carb and clean it. while you’ve got it off, you may as well throw new needles in it. not expensive.

THEN put a sock behind it.

OR, use this as an excuse to buy a 15 kicker…

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

If you run one, clip it to the bow eye on a short rope and run it under the boat. Just make sure it isn’t long enough to get back to the motor.

If you want to run it on the side, use two small socks, one on each side. If you only run one on the side, you will have a hard time keeping from driving in a circle.

First, get your motor fixed. Your idle is way to high as previous posters have said.

foxman79
    Anoka, MN

IDO is awesome.
    I love the quick and useful responses. I will run the seafoam through and take a look at the carbs.

If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. I’ll continue to check back.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

You could go backwards and get that speed.

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

Quote:

If you run one, clip it to the bow eye on a short rope and run it under the boat. Just make sure it isn’t long enough to get back to the motor.

If you want to run it on the side, use two small socks, one on each side. If you only run one on the side, you will have a hard time keeping from driving in a circle.

First, get your motor fixed. Your idle is way to high as previous posters have said.

X2!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.