115 yamaha four stroke smokes when charging batter

• trouter18

I have an on board charger providing 1.5 amps to the battery that my 115 yamaha is connected to. I’m guessing the current is running into the motor, then grounding out. If you look at the first picture, that wire (appears to be a ground)burnt through the transducer cable. I lowered the cable, thinking that would fix it, but smoke was still coming out that area, the second picture being from the back side, smoke coming from below the grease fitting. Again, this is happening when a charger is connected to the battery. Any ideas? That ground wire is hot, and I’m guessing it shouldn’t be. Also, do you think I’m OK to wait on fixing it & just unhook the motor when charging the battery, or is something wrong that should be checked ASAP! Thanks for your time & any ideas you might have!

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

U have a loose ground some where either on battery or motor it is grounding through the grounding straps, always hook the ground up first or it will try to ground through the little straps and burn them up!

trouter18

I followed the cable from the battery to the motor, and the ground seems well connected at the motor. I cleaned up the terminals/cables on the battery end. The cable (“little straps”)that gets hot, i just found, also is hot (but not enough to smoke) when the cables from the main control panel are connected to the battery. I looked under the console and I think that cable is securely connected to the grounding block, but it is hard to trace the cable to be sure. There is quite a mess of wires under there too making it hard to sort out what is what.

BBKK
    IA

why are you trickle charging your starting battery?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

To keep it topped off. I have my starting battery connected to an onboard charger and know a lot of other guys do, too. It’s piece of mind that my starting battery has a full charge when I leave for the lake.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

To keep it topped off. I have my starting battery connected to an onboard charger and know a lot of other guys do, too. It’s piece of mind that my starting battery has a full charge when I leave for the lake.

If the charging is the problem maybe just take that bank off. You really dont need it unless you are fishing electric only lakes.

trouter18

Yes, I shouldn’t need it, but I wonder if it is a sign of some other problem. What would I do with those leads, just tape them up?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.