Enclosed garage rod/reel storage

• FryDog62

I’m looking for some type of storage solution for 10-15 rod/reels in my garage. Maybe even something overhead above where I store the boat in the garage for easy access… if not along the sides might be fine. Here’s the key that I haven’t found – would like to have it closed storage with doors versus open (so my wife doesn’t see how many rod/reel combos I actually have ;) lol)

Anything like that on the market, or am I looking at a custom project?

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I would guess custom. The enclosed part is what I’ve never seen before.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I found a picture of a garage door rod holder that holds like 4 rods. I made myself a copy of it.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

It sounds like you need a secret closet for your rods. LOL!!
    Covered would more than likely have to be custom.
    I store mine overhead above the boat in custom racks I made. One will hold up to 30 rods, the second 26- salmon trolling rods mostly so the spacing is larger.

munchy
    NULL

Hang the rods like you want, then build a 1×6 or 1×8 (depending on how far the reels hang out) frame around it, then install 1/2″ plywood doors with latches. You could even throw a 1/2″ plywood back on it to make it easily relocatable if you like.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I built mine out of plywood and made it floor to ceiling in the garage with a door so that it is more or less a full height cabinet. I’m in the process of turning a spare room into a man cave and I will be using one wall as a rod rack. I bought the rubber rod clips at Cabelas and will screw them to the wall about every 6″ apart.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

would like to have it closed storage with doors versus open (so my wife doesn’t see how many rod/reel combos I actually have ;) lol)

….and a note kept inside the locker that reads: Honey, if you are reading this and I have died. Please do not sell my fishing stuff for what I told you I paid for it.

-J.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have a spare bedroom in the basement that I turned into a fishing/archery room. I have tables and a desk along two walls and rod racks along another. I have somewhere around 15-20 combos on the wall. Then I have built in wall cabinets above my tackle table that holds 20 or so ice combos. Works well and she never goes in there!

FryDog62

Thanks for all the input – if you have pictures of anything you are using would be appreciated ~

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>frydog62 wrote:</div>
    would like to have it closed storage with doors versus open (so my wife doesn’t see how many rod/reel combos I actually have ;) lol)

….and a note kept inside the locker that reads: Honey, if you are reading this and I have died. Please do not sell my fishing stuff for what I told you I paid for it.

-J.

rotflol rotflol

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have a basement where everything just gets piled. If she wants to dig thru them all to count them,,,,,, have at it. She already KNOWS I have too many so what’s a few MORE too many.

FryDog62

Yes, my growing rod collection is about like her growing shoe collection in our walk in closet. I make sure to trip on them about once a week so she is less likely to bring up any perceived “clutter” of mine in the garage whistling

FryDog62

It sounds like you need a secret closet for your rods. LOL!!
    Covered would more than likely have to be custom.
    I store mine overhead above the boat in custom racks I made. One will hold up to 30 rods, the second 26- salmon trolling rods mostly so the spacing is larger. [/quote

Art, please share a photo or send a PM. Thx!!

mojogunter

I made a rod rack for on the garage wall for my trolling rods because they are too tall for the house. I have since added 2 more holes so it holds 8 rods. Pretty easy to make yourself.

Attachments:
    1. rod-rack.jpg

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Frydog I meant to snap some photos last night and didn’t get to it! I will get my wife to snap some and send them to me post. She is well aware of my extensive rod and reel “collection” so no need to hide them! rotflol

Al Case

“….and a note kept inside the locker that reads: Honey, if you are reading this and I have died. Please do not sell my fishing stuff for what I told you I paid for it.”

One of my biggest fears is to die and have my family sell my gear and lures for pennies on the dollar. I’m putting a price (to sell for) per lure on each of my couple of dozen crank bait plastic cases. )

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

My over boat rod storage.

Attachments:
    1. image-30.jpeg

2. image-29.jpeg

3. image-28.jpeg

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Made from 1×4 and 2×4 cedar custom cut to accommodate the required spacing to keep most reels from making it difficult to place rods in or remove. Only regret, wish I would have made them 2 feet wider for a few more rods. roll

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

-J.

[/quote]

How true! First time I heard this thought I’d LMAO.
    I keep a few in the garage, a bunch in the boat, and some at the cabin. That way they are not all in 1 place so it don’t like I have quite so many.
    I have about 5 rod combos that I bought for the wife. Of course she only fishes about once a year. wink whistling

FryDog62

Made from 1×4 and 2×4 cedar custom cut to accommodate the required spacing to keep most reels from making it difficult to place rods in or remove. Only regret, wish I would have made them 2 feet wider for a few more rods. roll

Thank you Art – very well done! I’m sportin’ some wood over that masterpiece. Looks like I have a little project in my future waytogo

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Dang, Art! I feel better about my “modest” collection, now! My solution is similar yet cheaper and less work. The butts are supported by metal conduit covered in pipe insulation, and I have vinyl-coated cup hooks to hold the blank ends of each rod.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

A pic is worth 1000 words. Not enclosed, but it works pretty well for me. That thin rope is my insurance policy. After dropping a rod or two, I added it.

Attachments:
    1. mms_20160511_081321.jpg

2. mms_20160511_081327.jpg

Al Case

I like that setup, Ralph. Good idea on the rope safety net, too.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I like that setup, Ralph. Good idea on the rope safety net, too.

Thanks. It works well, and I had most of the materials laying around.

mojogunter

I think Art has a problem. Albeit a good problem to have. jester My wife complained when I hit the 20 mark. I would be sleeping in the boat if I had that many setups, possibly not in my existing garage. Bravo Art, Bravo toast

I Think Art Wins waytogo applause toast

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Bravo to both Art and Ralph. toast

To Art for making my alcoholism seem less of a problem. That’s an awesome inventory.

To Ralph for a simple and effective method. Think I’ll do this at the cabin this year.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I swear I don’t have a problem! I am merely a collector of fine tools. In this case extremely serviceable fishing tools. devil

The materials were left over from another wood working project for someone else so free for me. The rest was whipped out on the drill press with a couple of Forstner bits and a scroll saw. A single hour worth of work. It was figuring out the spacing that took all the time.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.