Driftless Region Trout Therapy

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

With all the crap going on these days (whether you take this stuff seriously or think it’s BS), and watching this site go from a great fishing forum to a site with a miserable bunch of frustrated fisherman, I have a suggestion. I went down to the Driftless Region Sunday, and it was one of the most relaxing mornings I’ve had this year. It is exactly what I needed after two weeks of working in the hospital. If you need to take a step away from reality, head down there and just enjoy the views and the sounds of that amazing place and I guarantee you will feel better. Even if you don’t catch any trout.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Nice! Currently planning some visits to the Driftless for early April. Just paired some reels and line with a new 5wt and 8wt I picked up over the winter. Will watch the vid when I get off work

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve gone down there 4 times now in the last couple years. I honestly was never that interested in trout but after seeing all the amazing places fly fishermen get to fish, I had to try it. Now I’m thinking I’m going to have to get a fly rod soon. doah

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

My family went to to Carley State Park last Sunday to just get out of the house. I had the boys bring their rods with mepps tied on. We had two fish follow, but no biters. Was just nice to get out.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

My family went to to Carley State Park last Sunday

Shhh that place doesn’t exist. Everybody should continue to go to Whitewater State Park

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Now I’m thinking I’m going to have to get a fly rod soon. doah

Definitely get yourself a fly fishing outfit. In fact, make it a promise to us as well as to yourself. wink

It does truly transform the trout fishing experience as there is so much gracefulness and beauty in fly casting in and of itself.

It takes a little practice, but not as much as you think to get the rhythm and timing down.

As was talked about in the other Fly Rod thread, they are reasonable priced outfits to get started.

We’ll be looking forward to your next report on “fly fishing” waytogo

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Very nice video! Does “wild brown” refer to non-stocked brown? I was under the impression that all browns were non-native.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Very nice video! Does “wild brown” refer to non-stocked brown? I was under the impression that all browns were non-native.

Thanks. I guess I can’t answer that question. They are not stocked but I don’t know if all browns are non native. I was just referring to the fact that they are not placed there by the DNR. I’m not that much of a trout expert. Kind of just getting into the game.

Brad Dimond

Brown trout were imported from Europe starting in the 1880s and have become naturalized throughout the U.S. and much of the world.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Brown trout were imported from Europe starting in the 1880s and have become naturalized throughout the U.S. and much of the world.

Correct, they used to be referred to as German Brown Trout

The first introductions into the U.S. started in 1883 when Fred Mather, a New York pisciculturist and angler, under the authority of the U.S. Fish Commissioner, Spencer Baird, obtained brown trout eggs from a Baron Lucius von Behr, president of the German Fishing Society [de]. The von Behr brown trout came from both mountain streams and large lakes in the Black Forest region of Baden-Württemberg.[8]

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Good to know some history Andy! Learn something every day!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.