Double Uni Knot (line to hook)

• kwp
    Eden Prairie

Decided to finally learn how to tie the Double Uni knot. It took me a few hours to really nail it down but found some good YouTube videos which really helped. It was hard to adjust my fingers properly and also the sequence to sinch it up to prevent the wraps from overlapping. I found 4 to 6 wraps works best for 10lb Fluorocarbon and 8 wraps for fused Dyneema (Nonofil and Gliss).

When you are done you will have 3 tag ends facing the rod tip. This knot seems amazingly strong (more importantly consistently strong) when compared to a polamer, double pitzen, or any other knot I have tried. I would even like to try this knot on a line tester to compare actual results to other knots. I know a lot of people like the polamer knot but I have had nothing but problems with it on fused Dyneema and fluorocarbon. I think I somehow twist the line when I tie it.

Attachments:
    1. 20160210.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

It seems so bulky it would be a pain trying to cinch it tight with flouro not compromising.

Should update us after some real world usage on how it goes toast

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I’ve used double uni to attach braid to mono but not imagining it at the lure end. What made you consider this knot for your intended use?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Please post the Youtube video. Just paste the url.

I’m a bit confused as normal. I too use it for mono to braid and braid to braid.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Please post the Youtube video. Just paste the url.

I’m a bit confused as normal. I too use it for mono to braid and braid to braid.

Same here. I am also confused which is normal. Youtube would be beneficial.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

The knot is a little bulky but I doubt the fish care and this should only protect the main line which is inside the noose. Technically, this is considered a “sinch” or “noose” and not a knot. The reason I would like to try this is because of the inconsistency I was having with the polamer knot. Not that it is a bad knot, just inconsistent. Especially with fluorocarbon.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Here is another video of Elite Bass pro Aaron Martens tying the double uni. He talks about this knot being as close to 100% as any knot he has found (he doesn’t like the polamer). He also calls it a “slip” instead of a knot. From testing this on my hands, this double uni seems so much stronger (and consistent) over the polamer or anything else. I even tied two jig heads together and pulled to break with as many knots as I know. This compares knot strengths to each other and I haven’t found one stronger than this double uni. 8 wraps seems to work best for braid and 4 to 6 wraps for Fluorocarbon.

I would really like to test the actual strength of this on tester.

Rod Bent

I use a Uni for everything, with no problems at all. I have caught everything from panfish up to large catfish and sturgeon. It is great for line-to-line (double Uni), line to hook, and as a snell. Works with braid and Nanofil-type lines in all sizes. Just use the single Uni with 7 wraps and fish on.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Back before there was dirt I always trimmed up my tag ends when fishing for the mighty “finicky” trout in our clear trout streams. Flys needed to be tied perfectly or they wouldn’t fool the weary eyes of a trout.
    The I recieved a FlyFisherman magazine with a legend by the name of Whittmore or something like that. The giant (in my eyes) trout he was holding had a grasshopper hanging out of his mouth with a good 1 inch plus of mono sticking out for a tag end.

As long as the presentation is there and the not holds, I’m a believer that fish are dumb.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I use a Uni for everything, with no problems at all. I have caught everything from panfish up to large catfish and sturgeon. It is great for line-to-line (double Uni), line to hook, and as a snell. Works with braid and Nanofil-type lines in all sizes. Just use the single Uni with 7 wraps and fish on.

The 7 wrap single uni may work great but the double uni is even stronger. That was one of the knots I tied on two jig heads to compare it to the double uni. The 7 wrap single uni broke every time before the double uni did. I once thought the improved clinch knot “worked great” until I discovered it was about a 75% knot.

TripleA
    Blaine

Little trick to the Palomar is not getting the line twisted when you run it through the eyelet, and ensuring the loop tag stays uniform without crossing when going over the lure as well. I haven’t had any knots break with braid or flouro, but I have retied knots that don’t come out right vs fishing with them everytime.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Back before there was dirt I always trimmed up my tag ends when fishing for the mighty “finicky” trout in our clear trout streams. Flys needed to be tied perfectly or they wouldn’t fool the weary eyes of a trout.
    The I recieved a FlyFisherman magazine with a legend by the name of Whittmore or something like that. The giant (in my eyes) trout he was holding had a grasshopper hanging out of his mouth with a good 1 inch plus of mono sticking out for a tag end.

As long as the presentation is there and the not holds, I’m a believer that fish are dumb.

That was probably Dave Whitlock. Great guy, tremendous fly fisherman.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I knew you would know. That’s the guy!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

IMHO, most knots when double line bulked up will perform better in terms of preventing knot failure. It is all about preventing a pinch point on the line.

All you need to check your knot strength is line pull till it breaks at knot or middle of line. If line breaks, you’ve got yourself a 100% knot. Which can be lousy if you ever hang up in underwater rocks or timber. You might lose a lot of line.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.