Dogs chasing Deer

• Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I was cruising Reddit this morning and got myself pretty worked up before ultimately getting my replies deleted by the mods.
    The topic was on hunting deer with dogs, and was being talked about negatively. While I don’t find any interest in it, I still like to read peoples opinions.
    One of the comments was from a Minnesotan that said “In MN we shoot dogs that chase deer.”
    I felt like that was so disgusting that I needed to say something about it, and was probably too combative in my reply. The replies were left open for a while and it seemed like I was the minority in thinking that shooting dogs that chase deer was immoral.
    I honestly didn’t even know this was a legal action until this morning, and did see that this is only legal for times when bird hunters wouldn’t be out in the fields, but, WTH!?!
    Can someone explain how this could be a thing in MN?
    I get that dogs can ruin a guys hunt, but come on, stray or not, this just doesn’t sit with me well.

Interested in hearing any of your opinions for or against. Not looking to start anything, just curious.
    What am I missing here?

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Had a group of 3 pitbulls in NW Wi chasing a deer through the woods in February. Never ran to a gun faster. Tagged two. If you cannot be responsible with your canine, and it is harassing wildlife I have zero sympathies for the outcome. I have seen plenty of collarless labs eat it as well. If the dog had a collar I would certainly think twice.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Here are regulations as it pertains to dogs chasing big game in MN. Its right from the booklet:

Between January 1 and July 14, a dog that is observed wounding, killing, or pursuing
    in a way that endangers big game may be killed by any person. A peace officer or
    conservation officer may kill a dog that endangers big game at any time of the year.
    The officer or person is not liable for damages for killing the dog.

Other hunting seasons are open before, during, and after the deer season. Many
    hunters use dogs to hunt upland game, waterfowl, rabbits, raccoons, foxes, and
    coyotes. Dogs may not be shot if seen pursuing big game during the fall hunting
    seasons, except by a conservation or peace officer.

A person may use a dog to locate and retrieve a wounded deer or bear as follows:
    • The person attempting to locate the animal must have in possession a valid
    license to take the deer or bear.
    • Dog handlers who do not have a valid hunting license must be accompanied by a licensed hunter with the license in possession.
    • The licensed hunter and dog handler must be on foot and must wear blaze
    orange/pink.
    • Any light used must be an artificial light carried in the hand or attached to the person.
    • The dog must be on a leash no longer than 30 feet. The hunter or dog handler
    must physically control the leash at all times.
    • The dog owner’s name and telephone number must be on the dog while it is used to locate a wounded deer or bear.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I just posted the laws above. Here is my personal opinion:

I have a yellow lab I use for upland hunting every season and I do not hunt birds during the firearms deer season. The first reason is that 1) I’m deer hunting, and 2) Its not worth the risk. That also includes a 4 day youth deer firearms season in October.

My dog really does not pay much attention to deer while we hunt to be honest. She smells them and it gets her attention but she doesn’t chase them. I would not use my dog to find a wounded deer.

I am with ganderpike on keeping control of your dogs, especially during hunting season. Would I shoot a stray dog? No, because its illegal during hunting season. If it wasn’t illegal, I probably still wouldn’t shoot it.

Brad Dimond

Local CO in St. Louis County several years ago told us to shoot dogs we see running deer during the January to July time frame. Dogs run deer until they collapse, they tear them up. Not a pretty sight.

If you own dogs you are responsible for their behavior. Too bad the dogs pay the price and not the owners.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I take responsibility for my dogs in all situations and they have been trained to my abilities as a trainer.
    And agree that this is a pretty easy way to keep your dogs safe.
    But I would gladly pay a monetary fine for my dogs actions / my negligence, rather than pay with my dogs life.

CaptainMusky

I take responsibility for my dogs in all situations and they have been trained to my abilities as a trainer.
    And agree that this is a pretty easy way to keep your dogs safe.
    But I would gladly pay a monetary fine for my dogs actions / my negligence, rather than pay with my dogs life.

I think the difference between your situation and what the “law” says is that you are never likely going to be in that situation with your dogs. Since its during a certain time of year you wouldnt have your dogs in the woods/field those times right?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

If anyone shot my dog, I’d be going to jail!

It’s illegal to shot ANY OTHER animal that is chasing wildlife, why would someone’s pet be any different? This rule needs to change.

I love how some feel soooo entitled to “their” deer… it’s okay for YOU to kill a deer but god forbid another animal does.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I understand that a guys dog can’t be out running down deer.
    But instant death penalty?

I’d wager that a lot of guys just use this law as an excuse to shoot the neighbors dog that is always wandering onto his property. Which again, I understand is not acceptable.

haleysgold
    SE MN

If you can’t control your pet, spend the money, take to a trainer who can teach it.

Dogs have no place running loose and if you’ve ever seen 2 of them latched on to the hind quarters, locked jawed until the animal finally dies of exhaustion, well it’s a sad sight believe me.

I would much rather find the owner and take it out on him/her.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

if you’ve ever seen 2 of them latched on to the hind quarters, locked jawed until the animal finally dies of exhaustion, well it’s a sad sight believe me.

You mean like how every other predator kills it’s prey? If you can’t handle that, you should stay of National Geographic. I’m not saying it isn’t gruesome, but it’s the circle of life. I’m not for dogs running down wildlife, but it will happen, it’s in their blood…and shooting one animal to save another? Whatever.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I understand that a guys dog can’t be out running down deer.
    But instant death penalty?

Mookie, I posted the regs for you above. The only person that can legally shoot a dog chasing big game during hunting season is an officer.

Outside of hunting season, they are fair game if they are spotted chasing, wounding, or killing big game. I assume this is primarily to protect fawns in the spring/summer. Just spotting a stray dog out in the countryside is not a reason to shoot a dog based on the specifics in the regulations. You have to actually catch it in the act of chasing, wounding, or killing big game.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There are so many angles to look at this from. Dogs are an extension of their owner and the responsibility of their owner. If your dog causes an issue on my property, it’s the owner’s fault. If your dog gets hurt or killed on their own due to a lack of training, it’s the owner’s fault. I always am baffled how a dog being hit on a road is the driver of the car’s fault, or how a wolf that attacks a dog running wolves during a hunt is to blame.

I’d wager that 2/3 of dog owners are sh***y as owners at best. No, I don’t think your dog is cute when he jumps, pisses in my yard, barks, etc. No, your dog isn’t just “wild.” It’s untrained. If your dog sits all day locked up, you can’t expect them to behave flawlessly either when given the first shot at freedom or a less controlled environment. Dog training is a responsibility of the owner…period.

With all that said, there’s no way I’m shooting a dog. That’s just my own opinion regardless of the legalities of it or whether that dog is chasing game. The odds are that dog is running deer because it doesn’t know better or was never controlled by his owners. I’d be far more likely to figure out whose dog it is and go banging on doors for a confrontation between adults, leaving the dog out of it.

CaptainMusky

I’d be far more likely to figure out whose dog it is and go banging on doors for a confrontation between adults, leaving the dog out of it.

A random dog chasing game without the owner around is 100% the owner’s fault. A dog who is hunting that may chase a deer for a few yards is merely curiosity. I have never had a dog that chased a deer for more than a few feet just because they were trying to figure out what it was and I immediately corrected them with voice or collar commands.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

It’s illegal to shot ANY OTHER animal that is chasing wildlife, why would someone’s pet be any different? This rule needs to change.

I love how some feel soooo entitled to “their” deer… it’s okay for YOU to kill a deer but god forbid another animal does.

Wow. That’s the most ridiculous post I’ve read in a while.

You’re saying you’re willing to harm somebody for shooting your dog that you failed to control? Look in the mirror if you feel like harming someone over your dog’s behavior.

Wildlife killing wildlife is natural yes, ok. Domestic animals killing wildlife is not natural. I think the rule should be changed to allow the killing of loose running dogs year around without stipulations. If it’s on my property unwelcomed it should be my choice how I want to remove it. Again, you don’t like it? Control your animals!!

We’re entitled to protect “our” deer (as in everyones) from unnatural predation. Its called population control. Between hunting, natural predation, diseases, other natural causes, and cars I think the deer population could at least use a break from your poorly trained dogs.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Wildlife killing wildlife is natural yes, ok. Domestic animals killing wildlife is not natural. I think the rule should be changed to allow the killing of loose running dogs year around without stipulations.

You beat me to it on the natural predation thing. A dog is not a natural part of the landscape (and neither is a feral/stray cat, but that is for another thread).

I think the rule is fine the way it is. People obviously use dogs during hunting season so its possible a young bird dog could go on a sprint chasing a deer. In this case, shooting it on site would not necessarily be warranted, which is why it is not permitted during hunting season other than by an officer.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If my dog is chasing a deer on my property can anyone shoot it?

Brad Dimond

Dogs we were clued in to were a pack of several local farm dogs who went feral and regularly chased and killed deer. Not talking Wright County with sporadic woodlots and lots of row crop ag. We hunt in St. Louis County, big woods and relatively sparse deer. Local landowners toss their dogs out and let them run. The past few years there’s been a lot less dogs chasing deer, wolves snack on loose dogs up there.

The indignation over shooting pets and hunting dogs is misplaced. THe regs are very clear on when and under what circumstances dogs can be shot.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Rules are rules, laws are laws as a pet owner you are responsible for any of the pets actions that break the law end of story.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

All we have to do is have control of our animals and none of this will happen. If your a lazy dog owner then you might have to suffer some of the consequences. But to say I would end up in jail??

JEREMY
    BP

Not chasing deer but my dad had neighbors on the far end of his property that had a shephard and i believe a boxer pitbull looking thing. Used to come across the field barking and growling at me pheasant hunting. Fired many warning shots at them over the years. Told dad after my kids were born there will be no more warning shots if my kids are along. Lucky for all of us they either moved or got rid of the dogs cause never seen them again.

Reef W

I always assumed the spirit of the law was to deal with strays/ferals. Personally I don’t really want to shoot either, without a specific reason, but what’s the difference between a coyote and a stray dog? If you shoot your neighbors dog because someone left the gate open by accident and it chased a deer you’re an asshole.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I mean, how much is it really asking to have some semblance of control over your animal? The dogs that are chasing deer are not your wife’s lap dog. They are likely not very well postured with humans.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I’d like to at least see in the regs that a dog wearing a collar may only be shot by an officer.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I was cruising Reddit this morning and got myself pretty worked up before ultimately getting my replies deleted by the mods.
    The topic was on hunting deer with dogs, and was being talked about negatively. While I don’t find any interest in it, I still like to read peoples opinions.
    One of the comments was from a Minnesotan that said “In MN we shoot dogs that chase deer.”
    I felt like that was so disgusting that I needed to say something about it, and was probably too combative in my reply. The replies were left open for a while and it seemed like I was the minority in thinking that shooting dogs that chase deer was immoral.
    I honestly didn’t even know this was a legal action until this morning, and did see that this is only legal for times when bird hunters wouldn’t be out in the fields, but, WTH!?!
    Can someone explain how this could be a thing in MN?
    I get that dogs can ruin a guys hunt, but come on, stray or not, this just doesn’t sit with me well.

Interested in hearing any of your opinions for or against. Not looking to start anything, just curious.
    What am I missing here?

If this is something you are passionate about, PM me. Too many sit back and complain about things they dont approve of but Do thing about. I’d love to see this rule changed. Just because man has the technology to kill, doesn’t always make it so. I love hunting but I eat what I kill.

I think with a good campaign, this law could easily be fixed. Again, PM me at let’s see what we can do!

blackbay

Has this become a big issue or just something people noticed in the regs? I haven’t see any news of a rash of dogs being shot in the name of saving deer.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Ran into an issue with this a couple years after I started hunting. Neighbor to my grandparents farm didn’t like hunting, so during prime time morning/evening she would allow her dogs (3 pits) to run on the neighbors property where she knew people were hunting. Now, I want to preface this with the fact that I have nothing against pits, or any well behaved dog for that matter.

After multiple people called the CO to report her allowing her dogs to run on neighboring property, the local CO ticketed her, but continued to allow her dogs to run. After another call, the CO told my grandparents (and the other neighbors) to shoot the dogs if seen on their property, and he told her that he gave them the go ahead to do so. End of dogs running on neighboring property.

Personally, if I’m ever in the woods and someone’s bird dog who is clearly lost is trotting along, I’m 100% NEVER pulling the trigger. But if there are aggressive dogs running deer on our property during the law-definied months I’d at least think about it. Owner is 100% responsible for the conduct of their dogs.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I can’t honestly think of a single stray dog encounter in almost 30 years of deer, pheasant, waterfowl, or turkey hunting. I see a number of stray/feral cats though.

I think the point here is that there is a clear difference between a stray or stray pack of dogs roaming the countryside harassing big game, and a bird dog that caught wind of a bedded deer while it was looking for a rooster.

CaptainMusky

Has this become a big issue or just something people noticed in the regs? I haven’t see any news of a rash of dogs being shot in the name of saving deer.

This isn’t a big issue in fact I cannot remember the last time I’ve heard of it. This whole post has ruffled a lot of feathers and as earlier comments have eluded to may lead to unnecessary language or rule changes.

CaptainMusky

I can’t honestly think of a single stray dog encounter in almost 30 years of deer, pheasant, waterfowl, or turkey hunting. I see a number of stray/feral cats though.

I think the point here is that there is a clear difference between a stray or stray pack of dogs roaming the countryside harassing big game, and a bird dog that caught wind of a bedded deer while it was looking for a rooster.

I ran into a pack of stray dogs ONCE in all my years of hunting and other recreation. This was snowmobiling near Bemidji and ran across 10 or so dogs in the middle of nowhere. No homes anywhere close and they started chasing me. These dogs would be targets for this rule not some hunting or lap dog.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.