Do Moxi's change color over time??

• kwp
    Eden Prairie

Was going through my Moxi’s and I noticed a bag of 4″ Great White turning yellow. It is really noticeable next to a newer bag.

Anybody else had this happen?? Pretty sure I didn’t mix colors or leave in the sun.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4695.jpg

munchy
    NULL

Everything changes color over time. White is just the most noticeable. Had a bag of white Senkos that turned almost orange before I decided to toss them.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Munchy hit it. Exposure to sunlight can affect the oils and pigments in plastic. UV package protection lasts only so long before it too breaks down. Even exposure to air can hasten the shift in color from the bright white in the lower package to the ivory color in the top.

Don’t toss the older baits though as sometimes the bright white in some some water conditions may put fish off while the more subdued white will take fish.

I’ve learned in making baits that storing baits is a tough proposition when it comes to keeping certain colors really crisp and the only real way to keep white as bright as the bottom ones is to keep them well away from sunlight as much as possible.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I have some purples that have faded pretty good over time. Getting any bit of moisture in a bag will change the plastics to.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

All my dark colors fade over time as well. I’ve gone to storing them in the house when it’s not spring or fall.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Moisture certainly accelerates color distortion.

I keep a bunch loose in my jig box and get some interesting blends of color. That always scares me though… What if they’re HOT after that firecracker that blended with purple…I only have one! Lol

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I have several bags of Moxis that discolored very noticeably. Is seems like the chartreuse tails on the firecracker/chartreuse or purple/chartreuse fade pretty quickly even when kept in unopened bags and out of sunlight or excessive heat. The Pro-Blue seems color stable.

I’ve started storing them in my freezer and only keeping what I need for the short term in the boat. Hopefully in the dark freezer, this will prevent the discoloration.

It doesn’t seem like some other brands such as Kalins discolor as quickly, if at all. I’ve got some various plastics that are several years old and have not shown any noticeable discoloration. Perhaps those manufacturers are using different plastics and/or stabilizers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.