Designated Smallmouth Planner

• Paul Squier

Howdy from Texas. I kinda feel like a nun at an orgy, but here goes. I have been designated by my small group of so called “bass fishermen” friends to find a smallmouth destination “somewhere” in this great country of ours to travel to in early July 2024.

The group could be as little as 4 or as many as 10. We don’t know yet, hence my new job title as “planner”. I am just trying to get as much info as possible so I can get it to them and they can make their decisions.

Here is what we do know. We are willing to travel 2 full days (12-14 hours a day) so anyplace in your great state is accessible in that time frame. We will be pulling our own boats. We will be staying 4-5 nights at a place that can obviously accommodate us and our rigs.

None of us have ever fished for smallmouth. There are a few lakes N of Dallas and in West Tx that do have them, but nothing like you guys have up there. I do know the usual suspect’s for the brown fish are Mille Lacs, Minnetonka, Vermillion, Leech, and Rainy. I know you guys have about 9,995 more, but I think it’s probably gonna be one of those if we decide on Minnesota. (New York is the other option)

We just want to catch fish. They don’t have to be trophies. If we can catch 2-4 lb smallies all day, all of us would just be stoked! If you were me, where would you be making plans at in Minnesota in early to mid July? We are well versed in the largemouth game and most of us are avid tourney guys with very good equipment. We don’t want to be dodging rocks and jumping 6-8 foot waves either. We just need a little direction if ya know what I mean.

Help a brother out!!

Thanks guys

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Lake Minnetonka does not have a self-sustaining reproducing population of smallmouth bass. They do on rare occasion catch a few each season, but the primary target there is largemouth.

Any of those other lakes you listed would work. Just be aware that it can be dang hot and humid here in July too, as I’m sure you’re very familiar with in Texas. All of those lakes you listed are quite large and they can get rough if there is a decent wind. The round and open shape of Mille Lacs makes it like the Bering Sea sometimes.

Riverrat

You can leave your boats at home and come fish the Ottertail River. I’ve decided that a “Trophy” here now has to exceed 21″ on this body of water. There are plenty of lakes on it as well that you could bring a boat on. Lots of small towns in the area for a traditional “Up North” feel, or just stay in Fergus and use it as a home base. The river is also fishable in any weather since most of it is relatively protected from weather.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Not in MN, but door county Wisconsin has some of the best smallmouth fishing in the country. I fish Washington Island (season opens July 1st) and it’s so much fun seeing all the fish swimming around in 2-5 feet of crystal clear water

BrianF

I would cross-off Lake Minnetonka. You will be sorely disappointed if you target smallmouth there. Plus, the enormous recreational boat traffic makes for miserable fishing after about 10 AM. I would choose rainy lake or door county Wisconsin, as someone already mentioned, for my smallmouth destination. If you want a fantastic ‘Up North’ wilderness experience and great fishing, rainy lake is probably the one. The size of the fish in Door Co is probably better, but it’s vast water and you can get blown off of your selected areas pretty easily.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

How about Green Lake in Kandiyohi county? It used to be a great smallmouth fishery, but I haven’t been paying attention recently.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

For Mille Lacs, you can always trailer over to the calm side of the lake to get out of the rollers. Smallies are everywhere.

Look up Mcquoids for Lodging. Cabins and Hotel there.

http://www.mcquoidsinn.com

-J.

smallie83

If you’re worried about rocks then you will want to skip Vermillion and Rainy. I personally wouldn’t though. You just have to get used to them and can’t run a bass boat wide open without have a route saved or knowing the area.

Vermillion would be my choice. Rainy is huge and although Vermillion is big, not as daunting. Vermillion also has a ton of smaller lakes in the area if the weather was super windy. Be careful though, smallies in the Northwoods can be addicting. Hard to leave.

Paul Squier

This is great!! Thanks guys Learning a lot just reading these posts. Keep em coming if ya have anything to offer because like I said, I know ZERO.

smallie83

This is great!! Thanks guys Learning a lot just reading these posts. Keep em coming if ya have anything to offer because like I said, I know ZERO.

Nothing wrong with the Mille Lacs or Leech area but something about the Ely and Voyageurs area that is just different. So cool up there. It’s much of an experience for me.

blank

I agree with going up north, like Vermilion or the Grand Rapids area. With the detailed mapping available I wouldn’t worry to much about the navigation as long as you pay attention. Mille Lacs can get you real giants but they can also be really tough for a newbie. Plus the north woods just add way more to the experience than the round vast waters of ML.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I would say Mille Lacs, but if you’re going to spend 4-5 days and really want the best in the country you should be heading a couple states over to Lake St Claire.

Mille Lacs would be third on my top smallmouth destinations. Just make sure you have boats that can handle big rollers for either of those lakes.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

St,Claire and Door County.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If solely targeting smallies, I’d be headed to Door County.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have no opinion other than a group of 4 guys make the trek to Kabatogama from Tennessee for 2 weeks twice every summer for the last 8+ years. They burn some gas and have a ball.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Jon is spot on about Mille Lacs. If you are willing to go to the leeward side wind should not be a big deal.
    There is a reason Bass Masters loves the lake.
    McQuoids is a nice hotel. It is a couple hundred yards up a river from Isle Bay. It is not a lakeshore place.
    I’ll throw out Island View Resort by my place in Wahkon. On the lake (You do have to walk across a road to the dock) in a small town. 2 places walking distance for food & drink. Convenience store another 200 yards from the bars. Cabins to stay in vs a hotel. Wahkon has maybe 300 summer residents.
    Tim, one of the owners lives on site in the summer & is on top of things.
    PM me if you want more info.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have no opinion other than a group of 4 guys make the trek to Kabatogama from Tennessee for 2 weeks twice every summer for the last 8+ years. They burn some gas and have a ball.

Kabatogama would be a top on my list for fishing and scenery. But I’d vote vermillion in here as my number 1 off his list. I have had some absolutely terrific days on vermillion and tend to catch my limit of walleye for dinner while smallie fishing. The area is beautiful and cruising the lake is hard to beat. Mille lacs has bigger fish on average from my experience but in July my vote would be to skip Mille lacs

Deuces

We stayed at formerly hunter Winfield now castles resort handful of years ago on mille lacs, very nice resort, nice cabins and have a beefy dock at the time could tie the boat to.

Had a storm come thru and everyone faired well who had their cover on or an automatic bilge

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Numbers and size Mille Lacs is tough to beat imo. But like others said Rainy or Vermillion are Canadian Shield lakes with superior beauty imho. On Rainy the Thunderbird has nice accommodations and a very good restaurant, and is right across from Rainy Lake Houseboats. A houseboat on Vermillion or Rainy is a whole other experience, but with your time frame I wouldn’t recommend as you will spend another day of your trip going out and coming back in aka not fishing.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Another nice thing on vermillion is there is always calm water, if its a different shore line, around and island or what not. I’ve never been defeated completely on that lake due to windy weather. I have been beat up by heavy rain because I was to stupid to leave when I knew I should have. Mille lacs I’ve gone home multiple times because my 17 ft boat was getting tossed like a rag doll. There is always the other side of the lake but when your trying for off shore rocks its rough no matter what. We all know a 10mph wind on Mille lacs is actually 20

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I’d fish the Upper Mississippi River.

Michael Best

I haven’t fished Vermillion but that would be my choice. As others have mentioned. There is plenty of areas on that lake to get out of the wind. However I wouldn’t worry to much about wind in July. Usually we are wanting some wind that time of year to help with the heat.

If you go to New York.
    Lake Huron is a blast to fish. Usually the Saint Lawrence tourney is won out there.
    Check out the areas around Henderson bay and Grenadier island.

Lake St Clair is very fun to fish.
    Prespawn is the best time however.

robby
    Quad Cities

Closer to you would be Lake Havasu. Check into it. Other than that I would suggest Mill Lacs in MN or most any Lake in northern MN, WI, or MI. I also hear that have big ones that do not get a ton of pressure on Devils Lake, SD. But beware, some of these lake are big and can get pretty choppy. Devils Lake is a great example and it is always windy up there. What about Lake Erie? Are you all bringing your own boats or looking for guide service or rental boats.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Does it have to be July? Push it out a couple months when they start schooling up and feeding in fall

smallie83

Closer to you would be Lake Havasu. Check into it. Other than that I would suggest Mill Lacs in MN or most any Lake in northern MN, WI, or MI. I also hear that have big ones that do not get a ton of pressure on Devils Lake, SD. But beware, some of these lake are big and can get pretty choppy. Devils Lake is a great example and it is always windy up there. What about Lake Erie? Are you all bringing your own boats or looking for guide service or rental boats.

I’m weird but I place extra weight on the natural beauty. If I was going on a once in a lifetime smallmouth trip I wouldn’t go to Devils Lake when I could go to Rainy or Vermillion and get the full experience.

Michael Best

Devils Lake has smallmouth in it? I have never heard that before. Are you talking Devils lake ND?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>robby wrote:</div>

I’m weird but I place extra weight on the natural beauty. If I was going on a once in a lifetime smallmouth trip I wouldn’t go to Devils Lake when I could go to Rainy or Vermillion and get the full experience.

100 percent

Paul Squier

Closer to you would be Lake Havasu. Check into it. Other than that I would suggest Mill Lacs in MN or most any Lake in northern MN, WI, or MI. I also hear that have big ones that do not get a t

[quote=2208455]I haven’t fished Vermillion but that would be my choice. As others have mentioned. There is plenty of areas on that lake to get out of the wind. However I wouldn’t worry to much about wind in July. Usually we are wanting some wind that time of year to help with the heat.

If you go to New York.
    Lake Huron is a blast to fish. Usually the Saint Lawrence tourney is won out there.
    Check out the areas around Henderson bay and Grenadier island.

Lake St Clair is very fun to fish.
    Prespawn is the best time however.

I think you meant Lake Ontario with the St Lawrence reference, Huron would be St Clair. Anyway, I get what you were trying to say. Lake Havasu in AZ? In July? No thanks, I will stay here in Texas. Vermillion and Rainy look awfully good.

robby
    Quad Cities

Michael, yes ND.

robby
    Quad Cities

Totally agree. One of the most beautiful lakes that I fish is Snowbank lake. It is northeast of Ely, MN. The smallie fishing during the spawm is outstanding! This can be a finicky lake though. This lake also has Silver Pike, a recognized but rare subspecies of Northern Pike. Check out arrowheadoutdoors.com for more info. Winderness Bay lodge is a neat well run resort, but you cannot drive to it. It is locked by rivers, so boat in and boat out. Very clean, free firewood, super great hosts there, full kitchens, and private docks with power. Snowbank Lodge is ok too, but last time I was there, there were lots of mice in our cabins.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.